• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are there black Solenopsis?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline James C. Trager - Posted December 1 2014 - 6:41 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Yes.
Several of the fire ant species have a nearly or indeed all-black color variant, S. xyloni, S. geminata, S. invicta (this last only in a few locations in western Mato Grosso, Brazil).

There are also some partly or all-black small Solenopsis, but the great majority are brown, red or yellowish. 

On the other hand, in Australia, Asia and Africa, there are many reddish Monomorium species, including some that look a LOT like little Solenopsis, until you examine their antennae.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2014 - 6:52 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Black S. xyloni? :o That would be weird to see, as would a red Monomorium.

#3 Offline James C. Trager - Posted December 1 2014 - 12:52 PM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Well, here's M. sydneyense, a red one form Australia http://www.alexander...neyense1-XL.jpg.

And some black S. xyloni, well, the minors anyway. http://www.tightloop...hp?photo_id=493

Edited by James C. Trager, December 1 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2014 - 1:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I totally would have thought those S. xyloni were S. invicta.

#5 Offline James C. Trager - Posted December 6 2014 - 3:39 PM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

s.Well, sorta. But these are much darker, especially the gaster.
But when I was studying variation in S. invicta in South America back in the 1980s, I did find some colonies this black at several locations in the state of Mato Gross, Brazil. I also found some down there that were golden, like S. aurea. S. invicta in the USA is a small genetic subset of the species in South America.

Edited by James C. Trager, December 7 2014 - 7:46 AM.

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 6 2014 - 4:54 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I think my S.xyloni from Mountainview (I think that is the name) is a black variant. She used to be pretty red, but now her and all her workers are almost all black... :thinking:

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 6 2014 - 7:26 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I think my S.xyloni from Mountainview (I think that is the name) is a black variant. She used to be pretty red, but now her and all her workers are almost all black... :thinking:

The best way to distinguish subtle coloration differences (black, dark brown, copper or reddish hues) is if they are backlit, or very well lit, and viewed with magnification.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users