• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tpro4's Crematogasters Journal (Updated 2/18/15)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 1 2015 - 4:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Happy New Year everyone. Btw, Drew, the Pogos aren't doing so well. One died yesterday

Well that sucks. :(

#22 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 1 2015 - 5:03 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Feed them. Even though Pogonomyrmex rugosus are fully clausteral, they burn all their reserves over time. Once they start acting lethargic, you need to treat them as if they were semi-clausteral, because they are starving. I have been doing this technique to keep all my infertile Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Crematogaster sp, and fertile/infertile Myrmecocystus mexicanus queens alive.

#23 Offline Tpro4 - Posted January 2 2015 - 1:54 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA

Feed them. Even though Pogonomyrmex rugosus are fully clausteral, they burn all their reserves over time. Once they start acting lethargic, you need to treat them as if they were semi-clausteral, because they are starving. I have been doing this technique to keep all my infertile Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Crematogaster sp, and fertile/infertile Myrmecocystus mexicanus queens alive.

I have been feeding them byformica blue and Aqua, I'm getting green from one of my friends tomorrow.
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#24 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 2 2015 - 2:40 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Hm. So I take it that seeing my queen wander around now and then is not a good sign?  :*(

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#25 Offline Crystals - Posted January 2 2015 - 2:50 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Hm. So I take it that seeing my queen wander around now and then is not a good sign?  :*(

Depends on the species and the queen in particular.  When she wanders, does she just go a few inches, or walk several feet?  You could even try a shelled sunflower seed or two, or some sugar water.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#26 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 2 2015 - 8:57 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Depends on the species and the queen in particular.  When she wanders, does she just go a few inches, or walk several feet?  You could even try a shelled sunflower seed or two, or some sugar water.

This is the Pogonomyrmex queen. The container she's in is only 3" or so so she doesn't have room to wander too far. But I did not know they're supposed to be fully claustral.

My Crematogasters go crazy for dead fruit flies. Of my colonies, they're definitely the easiest to feed.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#27 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 2 2015 - 9:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This is the Pogo queen. The container she's in is only 3" or so so she doesn't have room to wander too far. But I did not know they're supposed to be fully claustral.

It depends what species of Pogonomyrmex you are talking about. only three or four species are fully claustral.

#28 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 5 2015 - 12:15 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

This is the Pogonomyrmex queen. The container she's in is only 3" or so so she doesn't have room to wander too far. But I did not know they're supposed to be fully claustral.

It depends what species of Pogonomyrmex you are talking about. only three or four species are fully claustral.

P. rugosus. Only one occasionally wanders now and then. The other one I haven't seen outside since they moved in the nest.

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 6 2015 - 6:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

P. rugosus are fully claustral.

#30 Offline Tpro4 - Posted January 13 2015 - 5:09 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Elza got her fourth worker today.

Drew I was wondering should I boost p. Rugosus with crematogaster brood?
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#31 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 13 2015 - 7:18 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No. Do not. It will not work.

#32 Offline Miles - Posted January 13 2015 - 7:20 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Elza got her fourth worker today.

Drew I was wondering should I boost p. Rugosus with crematogaster brood?

Absolutely not. 

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#33 Offline Tpro4 - Posted January 13 2015 - 8:30 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
For science! So anyway I tried it, the Queen is now caring for it, pics soon

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#34 Offline Miles - Posted January 13 2015 - 8:45 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

She will most likely eat it.

• drtrmiller likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#35 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 13 2015 - 8:51 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What Miles said. Either way, it cannot do harm giving it to her.

#36 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 13 2015 - 8:52 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Dr. Trager did say once when he was younger he got Pogonomyrmex to accept a Crematogaster worker for a few weeks if I remember right, but he said the colony eventually died (I'm assuming before they killed it). Who knows why that happened, but I wouldn't count on having the same luck. Like I told you in chat, it will probably end up as dinner or in the trash pile.

#37 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 13 2015 - 9:05 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would not be surprised if there were a possibility of freak accidents like that are possible within Myrmicinae. I would doubt it possible in Formicinae, or other subfamilies...

Edited by Gregory2455, January 13 2015 - 9:06 PM.

#38 Offline Miles - Posted January 13 2015 - 9:29 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Myrmicinae do seem more likely to allow such behavior over the other subfamilies.

#39 Offline Mercutia - Posted January 14 2015 - 6:50 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I remember Trager posting something like that along with a few other species that had accepted cross genus brood that matured into working adults that contributed to the colony. I found that fascinating. Can't seem to find the post now.

#40 Offline Tpro4 - Posted January 14 2015 - 4:32 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Good news, the queen I gave brood to has two eggs.
Bad news, the brood is gone

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users