• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bug Catcher Formicaium/Outworld neodymium magnets lid

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lazarus - Posted September 25 2017 - 2:45 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

This is a formicarium/outworld I made from a dollar store 'bug catcher' toy. I thought it would be good since it already had a 'door' in the lid and I hoped to use expanding foam to close the air vents. That did not work out as well as I'd hoped so I then used a piece of plexiglass as a lid with neodynium ('rare earth') magnets embedded in both the base and then having a matching magnet at the same positions in the sheet of plexiglass. I was careful to have the magnets set flush with the top of the base and then again flush with the bottom of the lid. Magnets glued with 30 minute epoxy. Seems solid as I can lift the entire thing just holding onto the lid. To remove it, a sliding motion breaks the adhesion.

The 5 Chamber nest area was molded with clay and them formed with unsanded grout. One chamber has hole going to the outworld.

Thoughts?

My online ant spreadsheet

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 25 2017 - 2:49 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

cool, how do you hydrate it?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline Lazarus - Posted September 25 2017 - 2:56 PM

Lazarus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON, Canada

cool, how do you hydrate it?

I'm thinking of building one of those small 'stand up' water towers.

Something like this video by Crystal S:

PS: Crystal (who I believe is the same as CrystalS member here) is a goddess! Learned so much about building forminariums from her vids including how I created the mold here.

Edited by Lazarus, September 25 2017 - 3:06 PM.

My online ant spreadsheet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users