• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Termite Hut journal

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Hunter - Posted December 6 2017 - 6:01 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

They're everywhere if you devote time to finding them. Flip a ton of logs and you're bound to find a few.

You can also buy a "termitat", which includes the US's largest termite (Zootermopsis angusticollis). Apparently the setup is completely sealed to minimize chances of escapees.

does it come with queen and king, most likely not, and going of my family of exterminators and 2 years of surching i have never found any

They're everywhere if you devote time to finding them. Flip a ton of logs and you're bound to find a few.

You can also buy a "termitat", which includes the US's largest termite (Zootermopsis angusticollis). Apparently the setup is completely sealed to minimize chances of escapees.

does it come with queen and king, most likely not, and going of my family of exterminators and 2 years of surching i have never found any

i must be unlucky

#22 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 6 2017 - 7:29 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Dampwood termites have "pseudoworkers" that mold into secondary reproductives, alates or soldiers. Buying a couple of workers will result in a colony in a few months. That's why those termitats are so tightly sealed.

I bet that your family (OF EXTERMINATORS?!) just doesn't want you to keep termites, and takes you to the worst places possible. Check in dense, untouched forests on hot and humid days during the summer. Workers like to forage at that time of year.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, December 6 2017 - 7:31 AM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#23 Offline rdurham02 - Posted December 6 2017 - 7:32 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

how did you find termite in Maine, or did you buy just workers

I bought them from a source on dendroboards Hunter. Probably going to purchase via https://www.wardsci....g_number=876160 in the future for Zootermopsis. 

#24 Offline Hunter - Posted December 6 2017 - 8:25 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

Dampwood termites have "pseudoworkers" that mold into secondary reproductives, alates or soldiers. Buying a couple of workers will result in a colony in a few months. That's why those termitats are so tightly sealed.

I bet that your family (OF EXTERMINATORS?!) just doesn't want you to keep termites, and takes you to the worst places possible. Check in dense, untouched forests on hot and humid days during the summer. Workers like to forage at that time of year.

they said i can and all that is in maine is subterranean

#25 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 6 2017 - 9:46 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

how did you find termite in Maine, or did you buy just workers

I don't collect termites, but I find them at night flying with ant nuptials.   They also seem to be attracted to lights and occasionally will see them on the side of driveway lights, along the house where the lights are shining or on the window screens.  I've never spotted a pair together however, usually a single alate sitting there.  I live in the woods, and I rarely see alates in high numbers at all, maybe 2 or 3 all year.

#26 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 6 2017 - 10:23 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

they said i can and all that is in maine is subterranean

I mean in the termitat. The termitat comes with dampwood termites. 

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes