• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID - St. Louis, MO 9/22/17

Best Answer VoidElecent , September 23 2017 - 7:45 AM

Brachymyrmex depilis.

You should start a Tetramorium tsushimae journal; I've got a colony outisde my front door and they've always been very interesting to me.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BMM - Posted September 22 2017 - 7:49 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

1. Location of collection: Just south of St. Louis
2. Date of collection: 9/18/17
3. Habitat of collection: Flying in my local park
4. Length (from head to gaster): 3.5 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Yellowish-orange. Their gasters all have a striped pattern. Gaster color varies a bit, some being nearly yellow and other being brown. 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Looks like one petiole.
7. Distinguishing behavior: Nothing in particular. 
8. Nest description: Don't know.

I thought these were Solenopsis molesta at first given the size and coloration. I even threw them all in a test tube with a S. molesta queen I caught a couple weeks back. After examining them under a magnifying glass though, I realized the two looked quite different. These are a little bit bigger, their coloration is a bit different, it looks like they only have one petiole, and their gasters are clearly more round.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 23 2017 - 7:45 AM   Best Answer

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Brachymyrmex depilis.

You should start a Tetramorium tsushimae journal; I've got a colony outisde my front door and they've always been very interesting to me.

#3 Offline BMM - Posted September 23 2017 - 10:17 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Brachymyrmex depilis.

That looks right. I'm a little cautious about keeping them though. My Solenopsis molesta colony is just starting to kick off and I'm already worried about whether I'll be able to contain such small ants.

Also, I was thinking about starting a journal for my T. tsushimae and a couple other colonies I have. I'm currently trying to make a formicarium for them right now, so maybe when that's done I'll get the journal started.

• VoidElecent likes this

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 4 2017 - 5:41 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I though T. tsushimae was very rare and is very hard to distingush from T. caespitum ecxept for the fact that they're polygynous?

#5 Offline BMM - Posted October 4 2017 - 5:58 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I happen to live in the one area of the US where they're well established.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 5 2017 - 3:32 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Oh. But how do you tell them apart from Tetramorium sp.E?

#7 Offline CNewton - Posted October 5 2017 - 4:14 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

I think I had one of these, also. I added it to the molestas I had caught, they ended up tearing her up. The gaster they left behind was more perfectly oval. To the naked eye, she was the same as the other molesta I was catching that day.

#8 Offline BMM - Posted October 5 2017 - 7:51 PM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Oh. But how do you tell them apart from Tetramorium sp.E?

They're slightly smaller and the colonies are polygynous. Some people report them being bi-colored, with reddish mesosomas, but I haven't found any colonies that exhibit that coloration yet. I basically identified them by size, location, and the structure of the pavement ant colonies in my area (all polygynous).

I think I had one of these, also. I added it to the molestas I had caught, they ended up tearing her up. The gaster they left behind was more perfectly oval. To the naked eye, she was the same as the other molesta I was catching that day.

That's pretty much exactly what I did, except the tables were turned since there was only one S. molesta queen and five of these. The gaster was exactly what made me realize they weren't the same species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users