• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Over hunting?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#101 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted October 24 2017 - 1:07 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Probably a website that sells them.

#102 Offline Salmon - Posted October 24 2017 - 3:08 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

I obviously didn't read the whole thread, but here's my opinion on sustainable hunting.
I believe that collectors should only collect one or two native ant/wasp/termite/bee/whatever reproductives at a time, to give the wild population their best chance of survival. If the species is invasive, go ahead and catch the entire area's population! Just don't release them...

Eh. Restricting yourself to one or two is definitely going overboard, especially since some species have a low survival rate in captivity. No matter how rare an ant species is, for every queen you see there are hundreds in the area that have already disappeared into the ground and hundreds more that have been devoured by predators. If you walk into a field where a nuptial flight is going on to catch 20 queens, you might scare away a bird that would otherwise have eaten 40 of them. 

I personally don't see why someone would catch more than one or two. It might just be my experience with it, but just about every queen I catch has been successful, I only caught one F.subsericea queen and now I have a flourishing colony, that is how it has always been for me.

Have a look at some of those journals where several queens are captured but most of them perish long before establishing a healthy colony. (A lot of those cases might have to do with caring for them wrong, like keeping pleometrophic queens individually, but the point still stands.)

Not to mention that even if you have a good success rate, establishing several colonies allows you to pick the most vigorous one.

• TestSubjectOne likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users