• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernating queens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 20 2017 - 1:27 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Hey guys, just a quick question. I caught two camponotus pennsylvanicus queens this month (they shed their wings, but may not have mated), along with 48 various Lasius queens spanning 4 species, 2 of which are parisitic while the other two are Lasius neoiger and Lasius flavus. I followed several of these around once they landed and physically watched them rip off their wings so that I had the highest chances of catching mated queens. My question is, should I toss them into hibernation, or would they lay eggs before their hibernation period in the wild? I caught them on Sept. 12th and not a single queen out of the 27 non parasitic species I kept has laid an egg.

I fed the Camponotus pennsylvanicus honey and sugar water on three separate occasions, and they actually ate their food on two of those occasions. I tried feeding apple, honey dipped cricket and freshly killed spiders and they wouldn't touch any protein, nor the Apple. I have not tried to feed the Lasius at this time.

#2 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 21 2017 - 2:10 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Any info?

#3 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 21 2017 - 3:07 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

I don't have those queens but from what I've seen here and on reddit.com/r/ants is that some species will hibernate through the winter first before they do anything else. Colonies also won't touch protein unless there are larvae. Adult ants don't really need it as they're done growing, maybe just a bit for maintenance. 

Edited by Scrixx, September 21 2017 - 3:09 PM.

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users