• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving colony in hibernation

moving hibernation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline megaxoplasma - Posted September 19 2017 - 10:01 PM

megaxoplasma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello everyone,

I am just asking out of curiosity for the future, hibernation is quickly approaching, especially in relative to our busy lives, 1 or 2 month will seem like no time at all. I was wondering if it would be good or easier to move a colony to a new clean test tube after they hibernate. Because they do not move or stick to test tube walls when hibernation, would it be ok to just pour them into a new test tube?? They shouldn't even notice a thing if they are in full hibernation right?? Pour them into new test tube along with brood larvae etc because I believe they do not stick to wall either or the queen will hug them in her sleep.

Any input on this concept will be greatly appreiciated, I have 2 queens who's test tubes I want to change but they only have 6 or 4 nanitic and are in no mood to physically move themselves even after I made it bright and a bit warmer than they prefer they stayed in their current test tube, probably because moving would require too much work for 4 nanitics.

Thank You so much

#AntLove

#2 Offline KBant - Posted November 3 2017 - 4:36 AM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

bump

#3 Offline Hunter - Posted November 3 2017 - 4:39 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

DO NOT MOVE THEM IN HYBERNATION

You do not want to wake them or disturb there sleep, as it may cause a bad hibernation

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: moving, hibernation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users