• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

"small" bug cultures

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zegorzalek - Posted September 19 2017 - 9:40 PM

Zegorzalek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

I went looking for some fruit fly cultures to feed a small colony with new workers (3-5). Thus far, I am unable to find a "small" culture for sale. I mean a 32 oz cup with hundreds of flies.. I only have a few ants!! I can find bugs outside currently in the Mojave, but am concerned about transferring mites/pests to my ants. I believe I can freeze wild caught food to remove pests? Is this advisable?

I am looking for recommendations on how to accomplish the varied diet live food regimen with a single colony at the moment (ie I don't need a huge amount). Any experienced keeper wisdom would be welcome! Thanks a bunch!

#2 Offline Pleming - Posted September 19 2017 - 10:17 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Petco - fruit flies small container $9.99 

- per cricket .15 cents

• Nathant2131 likes this

#3 Offline CNewton - Posted September 20 2017 - 5:19 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

Buy the colony of flies, and culture them. There's websites all over with culture medium recipes. I think you use a wine bottle. No, you'll never use all the flies, but a $15 investment can net you a lifetime of flies. Plus, bonus, you get to drink a bottle of wine!

• T.C. likes this

#4 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 20 2017 - 8:01 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Yeah, keeping variety up but only having 1 colony is a big issue since most feeder insects are only available in bulk.

Mealworms are good to keep - you can refrigerate them and keep them for months.  Then, you can buy crickets every other week and alternate between the 2 and/or catch bugs that are attracted to lights at night as well.

#5 Offline Yuki - Posted September 20 2017 - 7:45 PM

Yuki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

I found that petsmart fruit flies are wingless so they're easier to feed, but that's just me. The tradeoff is the vial they sell you doesn't last as long, but again as long as you have multiple colonies you can keep them producing forever.

Frozen fruit flies work fine too.

#6 Offline Zegorzalek - Posted September 21 2017 - 7:30 AM

Zegorzalek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Sounds good... small works fine for me currently, and less hassle.

#7 Offline Chomp231 - Posted September 21 2017 - 8:21 AM

Chomp231

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
You could try worms and make money off the worms as fishing bait or casting compost and still use them to feed your ants.

#8 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted October 17 2017 - 5:20 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Meal worms seem pretty easy to culture as do isopods, and springtails. Larder beetles and carpet beetles also have bite sized larvae for your ants. All of these are available comercially, and you can start cultures of them. Look up poison dart frog food for more ant sized morsels :-).

#9 Offline Pleming - Posted October 23 2017 - 10:32 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Non of my Camponotus will touch mealworms. 

#10 Offline Antking117 - Posted October 24 2017 - 4:03 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I found that petsmart fruit flies are wingless so they're easier to feed, but that's just me. The tradeoff is the vial they sell you doesn't last as long, but again as long as you have multiple colonies you can keep them producing forever.

Frozen fruit flies work fine too.

The petsmart fruit fly colony can last a month if you have a few small ant colonies. The fruit fly colony just breeds until the food runs out and you can get hundreds of flies from a small colony.

#11 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted October 28 2017 - 10:03 AM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
I got a fruit fly colony from amazon from joshs frogs. It lasted a bout 2 weeks then all that was left were mites. I suspect these had something to do with the loss of all my workers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users