• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it possible to breed katydids?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted September 19 2017 - 5:49 AM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Macedonia
The title says it all. I just wanna know if it's possible and if it is how to do it.

Thanks.

#2 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 19 2017 - 6:36 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I imagine it's possible - they eat grass/leaves though, so not sure how you'd feed them during the winter unless you constantly rotated different plants for them to eat.

#3 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted September 19 2017 - 6:38 AM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

I imagine it's possible - they eat grass/leaves though, so not sure how you'd feed them during the winter unless you constantly rotated different plants for them to eat.

Food wouldn't be a problem I just want to know what setup I'd need.

#4 Online T.C. - Posted September 19 2017 - 7:33 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I don't know about katydids, but you can breed grasshoppers.

Edited by T.C., September 19 2017 - 7:34 AM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 19 2017 - 10:10 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I imagine a dirt setup with edible plants should be good - the only problem is that it looks like they only lay eggs once a year.

#6 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted September 19 2017 - 10:23 AM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

I imagine a dirt setup with edible plants should be good - the only problem is that it looks like they only lay eggs once a year.

Yeah in my reaserch I found that they lay eggs once a year and I need something that'll give a constant flow. I'm looking into grasshoppers.

#7 Offline Salmon - Posted September 19 2017 - 10:37 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Yes. I caught a bunch of Amblycoryoha rotundifolia katydids this year and they've laid tons of eggs. Haven't reared through a generation but I know it's been done with that genus, along with a number of tropical species.

Katydids aren't exclusively herbivorous. Most are omnivores that will eat live or dead insects, dog food etc. They also usually eat fruit, and some kinds such as coneheads specialize on seeds.

#8 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted September 19 2017 - 10:43 AM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
OK so it seems that grasshoppers lay eggs once a year too. Crickets lay them consistently but I haven't ever seen a wild cricket. I'll try katydids and grasshoppers and if they produce enough new individuals maybe I can use them to feed my ants. If I ever find wild crickets I'll do that. I think I know what kind of setup I need to care for them.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 19 2017 - 11:32 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
You'll need to be more specific about the species, and then do your research on that species.

• gcsnelling likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#10 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted September 19 2017 - 9:11 PM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

You'll need to be more specific about the species, and then do your research on that species.

I guess I'll go post and ID thread once I catch one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users