• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Reticulitermes flavipes journal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 31 2017 - 6:39 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Hey guys. I've been messing around with termites for the past couple of months trying to start a colony from a pre-existing wild colony.

Species nameReticulitermes flavipes (This is the species i believe they are. I will be getting some macro shots of all castes tonight.)

Common name: Eastern Subterranean Termite

Size: 1-5mm depending on age of workers.

Nesting area: Within dead/rotting logs

Some species of termites are able to produce new queens from a pre-existing worker or nymph. With this particular species, (Reticulitermes flavipes) i should be able to produce a new queen and king called "neotenic reproductives" within months from now, if not sooner. Nymphs have the ability to turn into different castes, including a mature king and queen. I am hoping that by taking pulls, i will be able to produce my own reproducing colony of termites.

Here's a little bit of insight on my Termite venture. Hopefully anyone else who's wanting to give this a try will learn something from it.

June 10th i found a small colony while out anting and pulled about 30 workers and placed them in a test tube. They're still all alive and well in the tube. So far they've been doing really well, and have actually been pretty fun to watch.

Here's a small journey they went on. Baffled the shoot out of me.

20170727_080651.jpg

20170727_080702.jpg

Video.

The next morning, i found one worker floating around in the water. He was alive, and just barely able to keep his head above water. I watched in horror as i couldn't help the poor termite out.

I tried getting a photo but my phone was dead =(

Well, her buddies saved her.....

20170730_202147.jpg

Now they travel back and forth between the two sides.

Yesterday (7/30/17) i found a few new colonies and decided to do a couple new pulls.

I was told that Termites are like ants and don't play well together. I was also told that even if they're within proximity of each other, they're prolly not in the same colony.

So with that in mind, i kept each group of termites i found in their own container.

Some other Termite keepers havent tried rearing termites in test tubes before, so this part is a little new as i didn't know what else to do at the time. The previous colony i had pulled survived pretty well in their test tube so i figured i would keep it going.

I kept the amount of water minimal compared to the amount of substrate within the tube. I wanted to make sure that if they did tunnel into the water cavity again, the substrate on the dry side would absorb all of the liquid instead of flooding them out.

With the substrate, i added wood and dirt particles from around the nesting site to the tube. This seemed to really help with the last pull i did so i continued the method.

Here are the 3 pulls i took. The Largest is going to be split into two colonies to free up a little space. I may pull a small group out to either make a 4th pull, or feed to some of my bugs.

20170731_001138.jpg

20170731_001150.jpg

20170731_001050.jpg

Now these 3 pulls will go into a special were they won't see light or movement for the next couple months.

Hopefully i'll see some changes when i check them again.

As i check on these guys, i will be posting updates.

I'll also continue to take pulls from other wild colonies as i find them and update this thread as we go.

Thank you for viewing.

Loops

Edited by Loops117, July 31 2017 - 2:08 PM.

• ctantkeeper, T.C., Nathant2131 and 2 others like this

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 31 2017 - 11:36 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Is there a queen?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 31 2017 - 1:38 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

No queens at all.

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 31 2017 - 1:43 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

How do they grow then? Do workers lay eggs?

• lucas3431 likes this

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted July 31 2017 - 1:57 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Oh man, thank you. Just realized i never pointed out what i am doing. Lol. Editing original post now

#6 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted July 31 2017 - 2:54 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

If it helps, I am culture termites from both primary reproductives and batches of workers and neonetic nymphs right now (of the same species believe it or not). I have devised a method of feeding and housing them somewhat similar to yours. you can check it out by going to my colony journal.

Edited by ctantkeeper, July 31 2017 - 2:55 PM.

• lucas3431 likes this

#7 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 31 2017 - 8:57 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Every time I read through this, it always makes me laugh how the termites dug through the cotton despite all the water lol. Pretty amazing they didn't drown. But it does look like they created an air pocket (a small one) while they were tunneling. Never seen that behavior before, but its pretty neat!

#8 Offline Loops117 - Posted August 1 2017 - 5:13 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
I wasnt able get photos of each caste, but i was able to get lots of photos and videos.

I think the termites with wing buds are reproductives. Could be wrong though....Vendayn?

Loops

• lucas3431 likes this

#9 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 1 2017 - 8:57 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Those are reproductive nymphs (my captive colony has those, too). They may either be secondary reproductives or normal alates. You might have some eggs in a month or so.

By the way, keeping dealate pairs in tubes is very easy. Just provide a little slab of cardboard for them to eat and climb on (Make sure that its touching the cotton).

Edited by Connectimyrmex, August 1 2017 - 8:59 AM.

• Loops117 likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#10 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 1 2017 - 1:40 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I'm thinking i might give this a try, possibly for feeder insects.

#11 Offline Nare - Posted July 3 2018 - 4:39 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

So I have a similar situation to yourself with one of my test tube intrusions - I think they're trying to chew through the wet cotton. How did you prevent that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users