• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants853 Pogonomyrmex cf. desertorum Journal

pogonomyrmex desertorum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants853 - Posted September 18 2017 - 7:40 PM

Ants853

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChina

Where else should I post this journal except to the forum (and members) that have allowed to gather very important information about this genus. A big thank you to all of you and in particular to dspdrew, thank you so much for everything.

On the 16th September 2017, I got hold of these two Pogonomyrmex queens. The seller told me they were identified by a knowledgeable person as Pogonomyrmex desertorum. I haven't been able to get much information about them, so lets try to find more together.

IMG 4978

They came inside two separate test tubes and with some brood already, which is fantastic! 

They were very agitated and kept the next hours fighting with the cotton.

I then decided to transfer them into dspdrew's formicariums! 

http://www.formicult...ge-2#entry64223

The formicariums are great ! they work as intended and always allow a clear view of the queens and brood, great for photography.

They were transferred easily and I gave them some bluegrass seeds and two fruit flies each, which they readily accepted (after one hour of initial agitation).

The queens normally remain inside the chamber, but they venture out quite often. I can always spot one or two bluegrass seeds inside the chamber, sometimes being chewed by the queen.

For identification purposes let's call these queens, the white queen and the black queen, depending on the color of their formicarium (black and white).

Yesterday, while taking photos, I noticed that the black queen had one pupae :D and the white queen only has larvae at this stage.

IMG 4977
IMG 4976

I will try to do a bi-monthly update for these queens. And hope to have more updates soon. Hope you enjoy!

• dspdrew likes this

#2 Offline Ants853 - Posted September 21 2017 - 8:51 PM

Ants853

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChina

Just a quick update.

This is my first time with Pogonomyrmex single queens where things actually go according to plan and evolve positively.

So queens continue to eat bluegrass seeds and both have recently layed a new clutch of eggs.  :D

Black Queen

IMG 5012

IMG 5013

IMG 5014

White Queen
IMG 5015

IMG 5016

I have also been giving them two or three small fruit flies. Black Queen is more eager to collect them then White Queen, maybe because she also forages much more. Also, BQ is more easily frightened than WQ.

I think I will be able to update this journal soon, since BQ has a pupae that should evolve soon. 

• Spamdy likes this

#3 Offline Ants853 - Posted September 27 2017 - 6:27 PM

Ants853

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChina

Latest update. 27th September 2017, BQ had her first nanitic worker born. Unfortunately I couldn't manage a very clear shot.

IMG 5017

IMG 5018

Hurray!!  :yahoo:

• Spamdy likes this

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 27 2017 - 6:32 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Wow! I love it! What a cool species.

Edited by VoidElecent, September 27 2017 - 6:33 PM.

• Ants853 likes this

#5 Offline Ants853 - Posted September 28 2017 - 8:08 PM

Ants853

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChina
A quick photo from today.

IMG 5128

Edited by Ants853, September 28 2017 - 8:09 PM.

• Spamdy likes this

#6 Offline Ants853 - Posted November 20 2017 - 5:43 PM

Ants853

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChina

Two months have passed since my last post. Black queen continues to develop her colony in a very smooth way. They already take some small amount of protein, like fruit flies, or pin head crickets, its an absolute pleasure to watch them. The colony has 6 workers now. 

IMG 5608

On the other hand, White queen has been doing poorly. She has been on and off laying eggs, eating them, laying again, on and on.

Yesterday I had to relocate her, because the nest was starting to mold because of untouched seeds stored inside the humid area.

I transferred her to a black nest and gave her a few drops of sugar, and used the opportunity since she was extremely calm and took some photos, to notice that she was covered in debris and her gaster has mold spots... 

IMG 5697
IMG 5698

I will continue to pump up her reserves with these sugar drops, to see if I can recup her.

• VoidElecent and Spamdy like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, desertorum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users