• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogaster diet

aphaenogaster diet nutrition ant food seeds

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 17 2017 - 3:11 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

So my Aphaenogaster sp. queen now has three workers so it's time to start feeding them. I know Aphaenogaster love seeds. Does anyone know specifically what types of seed that they like?

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 17 2017 - 7:37 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

MILTA says they love Trillium seeds. I haven't had luck offering them other kinds. My colonies have always really loved Tenebrio larvae, but Drosophila flies are also accepted by most ants. They also like sugary liquid.

Edited by Batspiderfish, September 17 2017 - 7:39 AM.

• Mettcollsuss and ITrapPlants like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted October 6 2017 - 1:41 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

MILTA says they love Trillium seeds. I haven't had luck offering them other kinds. My colonies have always really loved Tenebrio larvae, but Drosophila flies are also accepted by most ants. They also like sugary liquid.

I'll try giving them some mealworms. I tried to give them sugar water but they just acted freaked out by it. The only thing I've given them that they've accepted is a cricket leg.

#4 Offline TheCrazyAntLady - Posted October 29 2019 - 8:12 AM

TheCrazyAntLady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationKentucky

My Aphaenogaster sp. colony goes INSANE for sunflower seed pits. You can buy a whole bag of them without the shells at your local store! :)

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#5 Offline ITrapPlants - Posted January 8 2020 - 7:22 PM

ITrapPlants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Where have you been buying your Trillum seeds for them?  Started raising a Aphaenogaster Picea colony and would like to offer them some!

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 9 2020 - 3:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You could look at Praeriemoon nursery online, but I don’t think anybody sells Trillium seeds. Even if they did, the elaisome would be dried up, so they would not interest your ants. Elaisomes are fleshy, protein rich attachments that some seeds use to entice ants to gather and distribute them.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline justanotheramy - Posted January 17 2020 - 1:37 AM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia
My aphaenogaster longiceps will only accept flys, free-range mealworms 🙄 (from the garden, cut in half, not purchased ones), and *sometimes* the drumsticks of crickets.
Will have to try an organic pepita, see what they think!

#8 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 20 2020 - 10:36 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I keep a fair bit of Aphaenogaster myself. Personally mine never go too crazy for seeds, but nuts are almost always a hit, specifically pecans, cashews, peanuts, and almonds. Those four exclusively make up their carbohydrates my colonies' diets. For protein, mine personally like fruit flies and mealworms the most, with crickets and roaches also being readily accepted. I recommend, once they get an outworld, to cut up the insects into small pieces, as even my 1.5k worker Aphaneogaster tennesseensis colony has trouble bringing large pieces back to the nest. As long as you test a variety of these food items to find what your colony prefers, you'll be fine.

#9 Offline ITrapPlants - Posted January 22 2020 - 2:09 PM

ITrapPlants

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Have been having success the last few weeks feeding my picea crushed almonds, crushed sunflower seed pits, sesame seeds, crickets (though they tend to have trouble moving them if not cut up in small pieces), small isopods, and they have accepted hummingbird nectar & honey soaked cotton.  Will try meal worms and fruit flies soon to see how they like them and vary their protein.

#10 Offline Broncos - Posted January 23 2020 - 8:30 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

My novomessor colony goes crazy for fruit flies. And I'm almost positive Aphaenogaster and novomessor are related.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 23 2020 - 12:45 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Most ants go crazy for fruit flies. Even picky ones like Ponera.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 23 2020 - 1:25 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
My aphaenogaster will eat almost anything. They're not picky at all.

#13 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 23 2020 - 2:08 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

My novomessor colony goes crazy for fruit flies. And I'm almost positive Aphaenogaster and novomessor are related.

Novomessor was actually classified under the genus Aphaenogaster for quite some time, so your not wrong :).

Instagram          Journal           Shop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphaenogaster, diet, nutrition, ant food, seeds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users