• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnt's Ant Journals

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#161 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 4 2018 - 4:40 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Are you raising wood roaches? If not, they are so easy to keep and just breed themselves without even trying. Easy insect food source

No, I'm not. I just catch them around my yard. If I ever get some feeders then I'm thinking about starting with mealworms. Or maybe catching some of the fruit flies that are all over my house.

Wood roaches are easy and practically raise themselves. Harmless, cute, don't smell and make no noise.

Whereas the other options are cannibalistic, will change form, make noise, smell etc :)
And require a lot more maintenance, complex setups etc

Fruit flies are easy, put fruit in a container and wrap the top with Glad Wrap, and poke a small hole in it.
Better if you have a electric fly swatter just under the wrap, kill both the fly and any parasites in one quick jolt :D

Do you think it would be possible for me to raise wood roaches from ones I catch in my yard? Would I be able to catch enough? I can look around and maybe catch a couple each day.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#162 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 4 2018 - 5:19 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Are you raising wood roaches? If not, they are so easy to keep and just breed themselves without even trying. Easy insect food source

No, I'm not. I just catch them around my yard. If I ever get some feeders then I'm thinking about starting with mealworms. Or maybe catching some of the fruit flies that are all over my house.

Wood roaches are easy and practically raise themselves. Harmless, cute, don't smell and make no noise.

Whereas the other options are cannibalistic, will change form, make noise, smell etc :)

Fruit flies are easy, put fruit in a container and wrap the top with Glad Wrap, and poke a small hole in it.
Better if you have a electric fly swatter just under the wrap, kill both the fly and any parasites in one quick jolt :D

Do you think it would be possible for me to raise wood roaches from ones I catch in my yard? Would I be able to catch enough? I can look around and maybe catch a couple each day.

yeah, all you need is one male and female and allow them time get some babies. The babies are what I feed my ants the most. they are the right size for small colonies

I believe one of the two sexes has wings. Not talking about regular roaches BTW

Edited by CoolColJ, July 4 2018 - 5:52 PM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#163 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 5 2018 - 1:26 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

You would get enough. Under logs is where I find the most. I even found a female with an egg sack under one.

#164 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 12 2018 - 7:16 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Just moved to Tennessee. On the first day as a house warming gift, a Camponotus alate landed on my drive way! Also found some young C. sansabeanus colonies in two logs! I even got stung by a Ponera colony I was collecting. When doing so a Myrmentoma Camponotus queen fell from a tree onto my head! Seems as though it will be a great anting season for me!

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, July 13 2018 - 7:41 AM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#165 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 13 2018 - 9:44 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

The Valentines had a huge escape. The workers had been working on eroding away the barrier for about a week, when I noticed that they were almost through. I made the mental note to replace it... but completely forgot. So I woke up the next morning to about two hundred workers crawling all over my basement. I got as many as I could back in the setup. The colony doesn't look affected, and the missing workers will probably be completely replaced in less than a week. 

After all this happened I remembered that the colony hadn't had any sugar for about three weeks, so they probably just weren't content. When I put a large portion of honey dumped into their outworld then it was totally covered with ants in thirty minutes.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 14 2018 - 6:28 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#166 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 13 2018 - 4:19 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I finally have created a feeder roach setup. Over the course of the last couple of days I've caught a good number of cockroaches. Most of them are young, and I think one of them is a male(it's abdomen is way longer, and nearly black, no full set of wings though). One of the females I caught has laid an ootheca!

I won't be feeding them to my ants until next year. Or at least until it seems that they have really settled in and start to multiply. The roaches are in one of my little cube containers with some dirt and a piece of wood.

Some quick photos of the roaches before being moved into their setup.

Oh.. wow... sorry, didn't realize how horrible this one was  :blush:  You get the point though... roaches.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 13 2018 - 4:22 PM.

#167 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 13 2018 - 4:50 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

give them some egg crates or toilet rolls to hide in

keep it super dry and lots of ventilation

Edited by CoolColJ, July 13 2018 - 4:51 PM.

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#168 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 13 2018 - 4:54 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Oh, super dry? Thanks, I would have thought the opposite.

#169 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 13 2018 - 5:01 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Oh, super dry? Thanks, I would have thought the opposite.

just to keep mold and parasite chance low.

I would add test tube water feeder, and fresh vegetables like carrot, cucumber, tomato etc, every 2-3 days on a lid, for the water needs.

replace before they rot

They won't eat much so scraps will do.

And dry dog food for protein, or fish flakes, even pet rat food etc - i just put a few in, and top up when ever they finish it.

These you can leave until eaten

Edited by CoolColJ, July 13 2018 - 5:02 PM.

• FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

Current ant colonies -

#170 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 14 2018 - 6:48 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

There was another cockroach laying an ootheca this morning. These really do reproduce fast! That is two in just a few days.

The Moss Monsters have been nesting up against the glass. It gives me a good view of the inner colony. The amount of eggs has grown a lot. Even though the colony produced alates, it doesn't appear that any of their current pupae is alate pupae.

(The best pics I could get through the walls)

=

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 14 2018 - 6:48 AM.

• rdurham02, YsTheAnt and TennesseeAnts like this

#171 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 15 2018 - 2:46 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Each of these pics is of a different part of the Valentine's nest. You can see how much brood the colony now has.

The smaller pile of mostly larvae

The largest pile of brood, mostly larvae

Some of the colony's young larvae and eggs(not sure if I got most of the eggs in this pic, they were on the wall)

The last major brood pile, again, mostly larvae

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 15 2018 - 2:47 PM.

#172 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 15 2018 - 3:02 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

I see the ants stick rubbish on the rim of the chambers, near the clear screen, always wodnered why they do that.

Is there airflow coming from there?

Current ant colonies -

#173 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 16 2018 - 5:50 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I see the ants stick rubbish on the rim of the chambers, near the clear screen, always wodnered why they do that.

Is there airflow coming from there?

Probably, I didn't seal the glass with glue. 

#174 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 22 2018 - 3:33 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

None of these are the best of photos(I'm trying), but it has been a while since I posted anything about the Carpenter Ants(who, btw, don't have names). I'm just itching to get the Camponotus chromaiodes colony into a wooden nest. It will be way easier to take pics than when they are in a tube.

Some young larvae.

Some eggs.

The entire colony. I think there may be four majors now.

Their brood pile, which is mostly young larvae. It was almost all eggs about a week ago.

The entire colony(minus the crazy amount of ants in the outworld)

The colony's eggs(you can hardly see them due to the color)

The colony's outworld. Yes, that is an entire Carolina Locust in the corner.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 22 2018 - 3:38 PM.

• YsTheAnt, TennesseeAnts and rbarreto like this

#175 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 22 2018 - 7:48 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I'm thinking my Camponotus colonies are either C. chromaiodes or some strange color morph of C. sansabeanus...

#176 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 24 2018 - 4:22 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

In a massive nuptial flight yesterday I managed to catch 22 Solenopsis molesta queens. I put them all in one tube together. A goal of mine this year was to raise a colony of some small, polygynous species. I may not keep them long term though, I guess I'll just see how things go.

The Valentines had another massive escape this morning :dash:  :dash:  :dash:  :dash:  :dash:

This time it was that they chewed through the stopper plugging up the extra entrance to their formicarium. I literally can't contain them. They are even beginning to easily cross barriers, and if they can't cross it they just wear it away.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 24 2018 - 4:27 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#177 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 24 2018 - 4:41 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I fed the Moss Monsters almonds for the first time, AntsAreUs had informed me that they like them. I did a time lapse(my first time), and I hope you guys like it. I was far from absent in the making of it. You can actually see a little bit of the Lego tripod:D
(so sorry for the tilted video)

https://www.youtube....h?v=AK-vonHE-H0

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 24 2018 - 4:41 PM.

#178 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 24 2018 - 4:42 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

In a massive nuptial flight yesterday I managed to catch 22 Solenopsis molesta queens. I put them all in one tube together. A goal of mine this year was to raise a colony of some small, polygynous species. I may not keep them long term though, I guess I'll just see how things go.

I'm just going to point out that they will most likely kill each other off slowly until one is left.

#179 Offline CoolColJ - Posted July 24 2018 - 7:43 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

If they eat almonds, chances are they will eat all types of nuts and seeds as well, much like Pheidole. Actually most of the wild ants around here can't resist some raw macadamias

• Karma likes this

Current ant colonies -

#180 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 25 2018 - 5:58 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Well, if the Valentines are escaping that much, I'm not sure if I will be able to contain my Crematogaster colonies when they get workers... Also, I just caught a colony of Camponotus chromaiodes with around 80-100 workers and majors! They also have around 150 pupae!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users