• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnt's Ant Journals

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#181 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 26 2018 - 1:04 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Well, if the Valentines are escaping that much, I'm not sure if I will be able to contain my Crematogaster colonies when they get workers... Also, I just caught a colony of Camponotus chromaiodes with around 80-100 workers and majors! They also have around 150 pupae!

lol. Well, the colony was totally manageable about 400 workers ago... their growth has been a little too fast, and that is what's hard to deal with. Maybe a moat would be a good way to keep them in?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#182 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 26 2018 - 5:34 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Well, if the Valentines are escaping that much, I'm not sure if I will be able to contain my Crematogaster colonies when they get workers... Also, I just caught a colony of Camponotus chromaiodes with around 80-100 workers and majors! They also have around 150 pupae!

lol. Well, the colony was totally manageable about 400 workers ago... their growth has been a little too fast, and that is what's hard to deal with. Maybe a moat would be a good way to keep them in?
A moat would probably work. Make sure it is flowing though!

#183 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 29 2018 - 4:14 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
I have a Monomorium minimum colony that I no longer want. Do you want it? I will trade/sell them.

pm if you are interested!

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, July 29 2018 - 4:38 PM.

#184 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 30 2018 - 6:14 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

The Solenopsis molesta queens have been doing great so far. They still have 20 queens!

CSC 0185

More pics of the Valentine's brood piles. They still keep most of their brood in this uppermost chamber.
DSC 0159

Some of the Colony's young larvae.

DSC 0172

#185 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted July 31 2018 - 7:19 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Since I baked the dirt in the Abdo-Lemons terrarium I haven't really done anything with it. The colony has been doing good, but the tank was just bare and ugly. 

I've just now added a lot of things back to the tank. I didn't really care about the aesthetics of the terrarium, I just wanted it to be super natural. A lot of things were added to it, but especially leaf litter and sticks. Of course I added a lot of different organisms to the tank as well, including millipedes, springtails(finally managed to capture a bunch), isopods, and even two Stigmatomma pallipes queens. I'm hoping that finally the terrarium will be a loaded miniature ecosystem, because up to this point it had basically been a bucket of dirt.

I have a question though. Would it be a good idea to add the tube of Solenopsis molesta queens to the tank? If not, what about the Aphaenogaster fulva colony? I don't want to create an ant war, and I would like to know which species would be the most likely to not compete with the Abdo-Lemons.

One of the Stigmatomma pallipes  queens
CSC 0173

DSC 0170
DSC 0167

The Abdo-Lemons eating apple

DSC 0161

Edited by TennesseeAnts, July 31 2018 - 7:56 AM.

#186 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 1 2018 - 4:33 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

These are the new organisms introduced to the Abdo-Lemons terrarium. 

(for all you earwig lovers out there)

DSC 0263
DSC 0266

This is an interesting little bug I found. I think they are called Pseudoscorpions.
CSC 0233
CSC 0220
CSC 0232

#187 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 1 2018 - 4:55 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Just installed a piece of wood into the terrarium!

I think this terrarium is beautifully ugly. What do you think?

DSC 0215

• rbarreto likes this

#188 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted August 1 2018 - 4:58 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Noice

• FeedTheAnts likes this

Plants r cool

#189 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 2 2018 - 5:13 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

That is not a queen

• FeedTheAnts likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#190 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 2 2018 - 5:19 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

That is not a queen

Your right, it isn't. I was mistaken about that one, it's a worker. The other ones could have been queens though, but I didn't get pics.

#191 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 2 2018 - 12:29 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Sweet! I just checked up on the cockroaches and there are lots of springtails! I guess that is a good thing, because there has been a little mold coming up. 

It seems that every time I look in their setup there is one laying an ootheca. There is a lot of little roaches now. 

I've been feeding them apples and dead grasshoppers, much the same diet as my ants.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, August 2 2018 - 12:29 PM.

#192 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 6 2018 - 1:39 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I've moved the Moss Monsters in with the Abdo-Lemons(hoping I made a good choice). I first tested the two colonies reactions to each other by putting an Abdo-Lemon into the Moss Monsters mossy little terrarium. They were a little aggressive at first, but then the Moss Monsters all vanished back into their nest. They were definitely very scared of the one Abdo-Lemon. Any agreesion afterwards was just a little mandible locking, followed by both ants running away as fast as possible. After this little test I just decided to go with it, and I stuck the Moss Monster's setup inside of the Abdo-Lemon's terrarium(on it's side), and scraped away the barrier. At first I was kinda worried I had made a mistake because they were more aggressive than I thought they would be, but things settled down. All of this was a few days ago, and as of this morning the Moss Monsters finally moved in. They decided to nest under a second piece of hollowed wood that I had placed in. I haven't seen much of them and don't count on them doing much foraging with so many Abdo-Lemons around. Maybe they'll come out more at night.

The whole tank now.

DSC 0346

Where the Moss Monsters are nesting.

DSC 0347

An unidentified queen I caught yesterday, it is really small.

Edit: it is Myrmecina

CSC 0375

A Strumigenys colony I caught yesterday. Really pumped about this colony because I'm hoping to catch A Stigmatomma colony also, and make a cryptic ant terrarium.

(I tried my best with this pic, they are the size of dust)

CSC 0329

The current state of the Valentines.

DSC 0361

And finally, a male and female cricket.

DSC 0353
DSC 0354

Edited by TennesseeAnts, August 6 2018 - 4:39 PM.

• rdurham02 likes this

#193 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 7 2018 - 6:25 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I've made a little terrarium for the Strumigenys colony using the dirt from my cockroach farm. I think it will be good for them because my cockroach farm soil was LOADED with springtails. They haven't entirely moved in yet, but I did get some pics of some of the colony. It looks like some of their larvae may be alate larvae?

DSC 0398

Edited by TennesseeAnts, August 7 2018 - 6:25 AM.

• rdurham02 and TennesseeAnts like this

#194 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 7 2018 - 7:17 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I've made a little terrarium for the Strumigenys colony using the dirt from my cockroach farm. I think it will be good for them because my cockroach farm soil was LOADED with springtails. They haven't entirely moved in yet, but I did get some pics of some of the colony. It looks like some of their larvae may be alate larvae?

OMG! THAT IS WHAT I FOUND IN THE PECAN I OPENED! They were so tiny I couldn't ID them! I released them after the queen died. I am definitely going to find more!

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, August 7 2018 - 7:19 AM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#195 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 7 2018 - 7:20 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
So why do Strumigenys have such elongated mandibles?

#196 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 7 2018 - 10:18 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

So why do Strumigenys have such elongated mandibles?

Not really sure. But they sure do look cool.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#197 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 7 2018 - 12:00 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Are they a type of trap-jaw ant?

#198 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 17 2018 - 3:14 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

All is still going well in the terrarium. No aggression or fighting between the two colonies. It is probably like this because the Moss Monsters are never out foraging much when the Abdo-Lemons are. The Abdo-Lemons take random breaks from foraging some days though, and when they do then the Moss Monsters come out and eat almonds.

The Valentines of course have put their thinking caps back on and figured out another way of escape. This time they took advantage of the fact that I didn't glue down the glass. Workers started crawling underneath the glass, and out through tiny gaps. The problem was a pretty simple fix, just a little hot glue did the trick. It's on the exterior of the nest so I don't think moisture will get to it(hot glue is terrible with moisture).

DSC 0444
Just some more pics of their brood.
DSC 0442
DSC 0443

I also added a second outworld/nesting area to the setup. So far the workers like hanging out in the extra tube, but there is no brood that has been moved into it.

DSC 0438
DSC 0363

I found this millipede a few days ago. I also found another one exactly like, but smaller. They both are in the terrarium now, and I see them every once in a while.

DSC 0380
DSC 0379
DSC 0353

This is a Lasius interjectus Polyergus queen I caught about a week back. I spent quite a while getting some workers ready to introduce her to, but then realized I had accidentally threw her away earlier that day(I was cleaning out my garage, and threw away a bunch of ziploc bags).

IMG 0255
IMG 0259
IMG 0253

Edited by TennesseeAnts, August 25 2018 - 2:37 PM.

• rdurham02 likes this

#199 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 23 2018 - 1:31 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

It seems that every time I pass the terrarium the female cricket is laying eggs. I took some video, and also took video of the interior of the Moss Monsters nest. 

Aphaenogaster fulva Colony Update + Large Cricket Laying Eggs - YouTube

#200 Offline CoolColJ - Posted August 23 2018 - 2:14 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Is that cricket in with the ants?

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users