• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Studying Ant in Maine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Water4 - Posted September 15 2017 - 7:37 AM

Water4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMaine

Hi, I am Eric, AKA "Water4". (it's my radio call sign at work; it's also ID on my RC float/sea planes) I live and work in the western Maine mountains.

I became interested in studying ants last year after stumbling across a number of ant colonies clearing for ATV trails on my property. Unfortunately I was more interested than prepared, and the one Aphaenogaster fulva colony and half dozen Camponotus queens I found did not survive to hibernation the first year. I studied up over the winter, and am confident to be successful this season.

I am currently keeping:

10) Camponotus noveboracensis in Test Tube setups, collected from mid June to mid July 2017. They all have brood in various stages of development with 3 or 4 having 3-6 new workers.

1) Aphaenogaster fulva colony 800-1000 workers in an Omni Nest Large with lots of egg clusters, and larva everywhere. They were collected in mid June 2017 with only 300-400 workers and brood. They have done very well eating crickets,grass spiders, cellar spiders,mottled grass moth,apple,peach,grape,honey,sugar water,gram cracker,ham,chicken,vanilla wafer,Scrambled egg, and honey nut cheerios.

In late August I collected 3 Aphaenogaster queens and 1 Lasius queen, and now have them in test tubes.

Ant are Awesome. The 5 year old grandson AKA "Flathead" thinks they are awesome too.

I have joined Formiculture.com to share with, and learn from fellow myrmecologists.

Edited by Water4, September 16 2017 - 4:06 AM.

• Nathant2131 and rdurham02 like this

#2 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 15 2017 - 9:45 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine

Another Mainer. Welcome. :D 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#3 Offline rdurham02 - Posted September 15 2017 - 12:24 PM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Welcome fellow Mainer Water4! Good luck with your colonies  :D

#4 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted September 26 2017 - 1:15 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Welcome from RI. If you haven't yet, find your way over to the Massachusetts anting thread. It's sort of a catch all for new england anters.
  • Nathant2131 and rdurham02 like this

#5 Offline Diesel - Posted October 14 2017 - 3:54 AM

Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maine

Hey guys. This is my second year keeping. I'm here in southern maine. Started with a single camponotus noveboracensis queen. Got up to 45 or so workers and 5 majors. Ended up giving them away do to a death in the family. Back at it again with aphaenogaster and temnothorax. 25 or so workers for both.I will check out the new England thread. Look forward to chatting

Edited by Diesel, October 20 2017 - 4:55 AM.

• rdurham02 likes this

Ant Species kept

Temnothorax Longispinosus.-Journal(discontinued)-(formerly)

Camponotus Noveboracensis (formerly)

Camponotus Nearticus-formerly

Tetramorium sp.-formerly

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queen & brood.-formerly

Tapinoma Sessile-Journal (3 queen colony)-formerly

​Tapinoma  Sessile #2 (2 queen colony)-formerly

Aphaenogaster Picea-Journal-active

Crematogaster sp.(Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with 3 workers and brood-formerly

​Crematogaster sp. #2 (Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with brood-formerly

Formica sp. polygenus-active 300+ workers-active

Formica Subsericea-active 25+ workers-active

Myrmica Rubra 400+ workers 3 queens-active