• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dade County, GA, USA 9/14 (Second ID)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted September 14 2017 - 4:28 PM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA

Location: Woody Back Yard on mountain or in a park in sand (around a BUNCH of solenopsis) when I found her she had already dug a small hole either way

Date: ~7-15-17

Length: 9.5mm

Coloration: Light black/ maybe brown with even lighter gaster with a lighter stripe across gaster (best seen on 3rd photo)

Characteristics: I'm guessing one petiole node however I can't really see it that well waist is really short, large gaster

krfKrcLFjO8a4cpeEwh73cPNXyl8Clf7Ygu0MTk0z8DgVYFrmWSF5W3y5u9g9vq_GNpi3uKXBc6NtjLV-E5vLAggp5XhlDeFfp3WYhyiCW79UwjP5Ce6erZZ

Edited by DoctorlyRob, September 14 2017 - 4:31 PM.

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 14 2017 - 4:30 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Lasius Sp.

We need better pics if you want an accurate ID.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted September 14 2017 - 4:35 PM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA

Thanks I am trying to get some right now actually the 3rd one is the best picture I've taken thus far. Any tips on taking them?

#4 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted September 14 2017 - 4:50 PM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA

After a little finesse with a magnifying glass I got these two shots, it it my clarity or variety of angles that is needed for better ID 

VVGmpjSfwXuAheFHJ3GOcGYHgdaRFSc1SnE3RMuY2JoutA8wA8OJtLuUb7kkLhrG6EEU8Oybw99FC3AC

#5 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 14 2017 - 4:56 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Take photos about 4 inches away, that is where most phone cameras focus from, as I am assuming you are taking it with a phone.  Can you get a photo of the head from the front?

#6 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 14 2017 - 5:03 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

I want to say Lasius neoniger, but I'm not well informed on Lasius.

#7 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted September 14 2017 - 6:46 PM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA

Thanks I will attempt some more photos tonight and have them up by tomorrow

#8 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 14 2017 - 11:04 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Something with some of the images isn't working properly, I'm not able to see 3 of them. 

• LC3 likes this

#9 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted September 15 2017 - 6:48 AM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA

So I uploaded the photos via my google photos account by just drag drop url to the image button in the top bar. Before that I had tried the upload with the image tool at the bottom but when I upload my jpg image it says "you are not permitted to upload this file type" I do not know what to do

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 15 2017 - 6:59 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It's probably an issue with the permissions of your photo that some of us can't see it. Are they publicly viewable on google?

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#11 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 15 2017 - 7:20 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

It's probably an issue with the permissions of your photo that some of us can't see it. Are they publicly viewable on google?

I saw them yesterday, but they had this happen later that night, I wonder if settings got changed by accident. 

#12 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted September 15 2017 - 7:34 AM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA

I'll go check and if not I assume I will need to change settings and reupload photos right?

#13 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted September 15 2017 - 7:44 AM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA

Downloading them all and uploading them to imgur then back to here thanks for the help guys will be fixed in a bit!

#14 Offline DoctorlyRob - Posted November 8 2017 - 10:23 PM

DoctorlyRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTrenton, GA
Okay I have gotten a new phone and it's taking phenomenal pictures. I think I have what I should have had to begin with. The last photo is a egg, her first to be exact she got rolled around early on by accident and I think she just couldn't find it? She never messed with it again. I was wondering if anyone can tell if it will hatch it looks like it's grown since then but she doesn't go to it ever. And of course can we get a accurate ID on her much appreciated!

Link: https://imgur.com/gallery/jm1oR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users