• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant ID

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline matt123 - Posted September 18 2017 - 6:40 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

Hi everyone,

new to the forum so please forgive if this is not the right place to post this. Couldn't find an ant ID page.

This will be my first year keeping an ant colony and I currently have four queen ants in test tube setups.

I have what I believe is two species, two queens each. Two of the queens have their nanitics and are at about 8-12 workers each.

If someone could help me identify them that would be a huge help in caring for them.

IMG957911
Album: Ants
2 images
0 comments

The queen with a colony was found about 5-6 weeks ago in a forest. I believe she is tetramorium sp e.
The one without a colony was found three days ago on my deck. I have no clue what she is.
Both were found in Hudson Valley, NY.

Thanks!

Edited by matt123, September 18 2017 - 7:14 PM.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 18 2017 - 7:02 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Welcome to formiculture. We have a ant ID request subforum, but no worries, I'll move it there for you. :) Generally this isn't enough information to give an ID, but it appears to be tetramorium casepitium and on the other one, it's hard to tell with the picture, but quite possibly Crematogaster.

Edited by T.C., September 19 2017 - 7:25 AM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline matt123 - Posted September 18 2017 - 7:13 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

Thanks a lot!

and after a quick search crematogastor looks right, in terms of species I can't narrow it down that much. but possibly cerasi or lineolata.

Any other information for identificiation? I put them back into their little dark corners of my closet and don't want to disturb them again for a while to get better pictures.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 19 2017 - 6:51 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Welcome to formiculture. We have a ant ID request subforum, but no worries, I'll move it there for you. :) Generally this isn't enough information to give an ID, but it appears to be tetramorium casepitium and on the other one, it's hard to tell with the picture, but quite possibly cremagastor.

What exactly is a cremagastor? :P

I agree with T.C., the second picture reminds me of Tetramorium Sp. E, but it could be T. tsushimae depending on how large it is. The first picture isn't great (try to get a couple different angles, maybe a profile), but it does look like Crematogaster.

Nice finds.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted September 19 2017 - 7:24 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Welcome to formiculture. We have a ant ID request subforum, but no worries, I'll move it there for you. :) Generally this isn't enough information to give an ID, but it appears to be tetramorium casepitium and on the other one, it's hard to tell with the picture, but quite possibly cremagastor.

What exactly is a cremagastor? :P

I agree with T.C., the second picture reminds me of Tetramorium Sp. E, but it could be T. tsushimae depending on how large it is. The first picture isn't great (try to get a couple different angles, maybe a profile), but it does look like Crematogaster.

Nice finds.

Its my tablet. It will literally re-correct every word I type into the wrong word. Its rather annoying.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#6 Offline matt123 - Posted September 19 2017 - 4:01 PM

matt123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNY

Thanks! Will try and get some pics tonight of the tetramorium when its feeding time. As for the crematogastor, I will wait a bit and see if they both lay eggs, don't want to to disturb them anymore for at least a week. I guess one question comes to mind, would crematogastor be fully or semi clausteral? They seem to prefer the dry side of the test tube which makes me think they are trying to escape to grab some food before egg laying.

Would care be different based on sp. e and tsushimae? I'm leaning more towards sp. e since they don't seem to have that reddened midsection but instead have red legs after their 'knee' joint. Althoguh the nanitics are pretty small and therefore hard to get a close look at, so I can't be certain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users