• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

More IDs, Western NY 9/11/17

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CNewton - Posted September 13 2017 - 4:53 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

Three more ants. First is likely neoniger. 2nd I'm not entirely sure. Last is probably a parasite. I know the pics are aweful. Most of us newbies don't have real cameras and, especially the first one, these guys were especially active.

1: Location: Western New York

2: Date: 9/11/17

3: Habitat: grass yard, some hardwood trees.

4: Length: 9mm

5: Color: Dark brown/grey/black. Gaster has a shiny quality similar to Tiger Eye gemstone?

Lasius neoniger  or similar.

neoniger
neoniger2

4: Length: 7-8mm

5: Color: Dark Brown, Lighter brown gaster.  Glossy. Seems to lack the quantity of hairs the other 2 have.

Probably a parasite.

parasite
parasite2

4: Length: 7-8mm
5: Color: Light brown. Similar gaster sheen as the first entry. Lighter, almost yellow, underbelly.

light
light2

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 13 2017 - 6:41 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

The first one definitely reminds me of Tapinoma sessile, especially because of her shiny gaster. They all look like they are most likely lasius niger or some other species

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 13 2017 - 6:45 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I'm pretty sure these are all Lasius Neoniger - is the color of the first one different from the other 2?  It seems darker in the pictures but that could be lighting.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 13 2017 - 8:04 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

None of these are temporary parasites. The first is probably in the niger group (L. neoniger or L. pallitarsis), and the last two could be in the flavus group (L. flavus and L. nearcticus).

#5 Offline CNewton - Posted September 13 2017 - 8:04 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

Yes, the first one is larger and darker in color. The other 2 are similar in size but one is more orangey-yellow with the pearly sheen on her gaster.

One thing I have been noticing is how different one queen can be to another of the same species. Colors and sizes, while always similar, have some degree of variance that I never really expected in the insect world.  

• VoidElecent likes this

#6 Offline CNewton - Posted September 13 2017 - 8:08 AM

CNewton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBatavia, NY

I did notice swarms of yellow ants in the mulch. Much more than black ones. These could be flavus/nearcticus.

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 13 2017 - 8:14 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I did notice swarms of yellow ants in the mulch. Much more than black ones. These could be flavus/nearcticus.

If you actually noticed the lighter coloration of the workers, they're probably flavus group.

#8 Offline Flame.Hyped - Posted September 19 2017 - 4:03 PM

Flame.Hyped

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Lots of lasius, I'm from ny too f your ever interesting in buying some colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users