• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should I be concerned Pogos are not foraging?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 25 2014 - 8:57 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I had admittedly put my Pogonomyrmex in a formicarium (Nucleus) that's slightly too big for the colony size. Had 2-3 workers die so now it's just the queen, 3 workers and a small larva. There was one worker who constantly foraged but it died. The group now stays in the bottom chamber. I haven't seen any of them come up to the foraging area nor does any food I offer appear touched.

Should I be worried or will they figure things out? Is it worth disturbing them to move to a smaller house? I actually have a smaller one on the way, which I plan to encourage them to move to on their own.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 25 2014 - 9:25 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hmm... Not the best news. They should forage when hungry. This is Pogonomyrmex rugosus right?

#3 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 25 2014 - 9:41 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

This sounds like a worst case scenario, and it's probably caused by the excess room, as you suspected.

Does the Nucleus have the magnetic cover?  I'm not an expert on their products.  If not, it may be difficult to coax the ants to exit the nest, but it sounds like that's exactly what needs to be done.

I'd start by using a gentle combination of light and heat (such as an incandescent light bulb) to prompt the ants to move out, and move on to slowly flooding the nest if that doesn't work.  No express warranties, written or implied, obviously ;~)

This is a very difficult situation, and you should exercise extreme caution, however you choose to extract the ants.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#4 Offline Chromerust - Posted November 25 2014 - 9:50 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Locationsouthern California
How long has the colony been in this new formicarium?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 25 2014 - 10:58 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Yes rugosus. Glad I asked. They've been there for a good two months at least. There was at least one worker who constantly explored and foraged, but he was the latest goner. And yes it has a magnetic cover which should help the move, I'll see if flooding can get them up and moving first. Thanks for the input!

EDIT: Could it be possible they're just not hungry? Am I accurate in expecting ants to eat at least every few days?

Edited by Foogoo, November 25 2014 - 11:01 PM.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 25 2014 - 11:18 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Pogonomyrmex rugosus can go two MONTHS without eating? Huh... Good stuff to know...

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 25 2014 - 11:34 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Pogonomyrmex rugosus can go two MONTHS without eating? Huh... Good stuff to know...

Don't quote me on that, there was one foraging up to a week or so ago. Unless they're living off of something else??

Anyway, since I'm done with work for the rest of the week, I just successfully transferred them. Hopefully all went well and they'll get settled in...!

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 25 2014 - 11:48 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What did you transfer them to?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#9 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 25 2014 - 11:57 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
A THA growth chamber I had.

Edit: I took a peek just now to see how they were doing and the queen and another worker have their faces buried in a chunk of Aqua. Lesson learned: Pogonomyrmex may not be smart enough to forage and explore a large nest on their own...

Edited by Foogoo, November 26 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 26 2014 - 12:02 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Ahh.  Yes.  That should be much better.

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 26 2014 - 7:50 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Most all the rest of my P. rugosus colonies (and I have a LOT) aren't any bigger than yours--some even smaller. I do have some where a few of the workers die for some reason. The one thing that is assuring, is that the colony I started with last year was just like this, and grew at an extremely slow rate until the next year, when they suddenly started producing like crazy. If for some reason these guys die off or the queen croaks, don't worry, I'll give you another one for free.

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 26 2014 - 10:52 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Most all the rest of my P. rugosus colonies (and I have a LOT) aren't any bigger than yours--some even smaller. I do have some where a few of the workers die for some reason. The one thing that is assuring, is that the colony I started with last year was just like this, and grew at an extremely slow rate until the next year, when they suddenly started producing like crazy. If for some reason these guys die off or the queen croaks, don't worry, I'll give you another one for free.

Thanks Drew, that's real generous of you! So far, they seem settled in the smaller nest (though Pogonomyrmex never seem to want to go into the inner chamber but prefer to jam between walls). I was under the impression the colony would immediately explode, seems like that's not necessarily the case.

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 26 2014 - 11:45 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

You may do good to boost this colony by adding larvae or pupae to it from a wild or other captive nest.  

With so many keepers in Cali, someone should drop a line to help this guy, herein this thread, to help prevent his colony collapse.

#14 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 26 2014 - 11:55 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I would, but then again, I have only one healthy colony left, and only with one worker and one larva, soooooo... I am in some trouble with this species too... :(

#15 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 26 2014 - 11:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

We need a donor!  Drew? haha

#16 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 27 2014 - 8:49 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I wonder if they will take wild californicus brood. I guess there's only one way to find out, I know how I'll be spending Thanksgiving!

#17 Offline Chromerust - Posted November 27 2014 - 3:55 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
They might accept the brood. I believe Drew has four different Pogonomyrmex species mixed together

#18 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 27 2014 - 4:01 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

They might accept the brood. I believe Drew has four different Pogonomyrmex species mixed together

That's right, I remember that journal. At any rate, no success with collecting brood today.

#19 Offline Chromerust - Posted November 27 2014 - 4:49 PM

Chromerust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I can't say I've ever considered attempting to dig a Pogonomyrmex nest. It just seems like a nearly impossible feat. The dirt is hard as concrete around here

#20 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 27 2014 - 4:59 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I can't say I've ever considered attempting to dig a Pogonomyrmex nest. It just seems like a nearly impossible feat. The dirt is hard as concrete around here

Well my initial plan was to flood the nest slightly so they'd rush out with the young brood. That didn't work so the obsessiveness in me started digging. I can say positively that with a total of about 2.5 hours work, I yielded nothing, no brood, no queen. Hopefully it at least counts as Thanksgiving exercise?

I feel pretty bad for ruining their nest though, so I'm going to feed them some of the extra byformica gel I have. Hopefully that will encourage them to produce queens for next Spring!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users