• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What does it mean when ants. . .

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jamiesname - Posted September 12 2017 - 6:55 PM

Jamiesname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMichigan
Does anyone know if there's any correlation between a mated queen and an unmated queen when she folds her body in half to clean the end of her garter? I notice some queens do this often, while others don't. I just caught over 40 queens and once I put them in tubes the vast majority of them immediately started doing it after they settled down.

#2 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 12 2017 - 7:45 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Does anyone know if there's any correlation between a mated queen and an unmated queen when she folds her body in half to clean the end of her garter? I notice some queens do this often, while others don't. I just caught over 40 queens and once I put them in tubes the vast majority of them immediately started doing it after they settled down.

Sometimes ants just need to get off.

Edited by StopSpazzing, September 12 2017 - 7:45 PM.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#3 Offline Pleming - Posted September 12 2017 - 7:50 PM

Pleming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, CA

Sometimes ants just need to get off.

hahahaha

My queens and the workers ants do this. I just think its apart of grooming but then I could be wrong.

#4 Offline Formicarius - Posted September 13 2017 - 1:46 AM

Formicarius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGermany

Queens do this when laying eggs sometimes. Even workers do this when cleaning themselves.

#5 Offline ultraex2 - Posted September 13 2017 - 7:11 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I want to say there is a correlation as I've observed this too, but of course it's anecdotal and as other people have said, workers will sometimes to clean themselves as well as queens when they actually lay eggs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users