• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Video link for anyone interested. Backyard FULL of Queens today.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 11 2017 - 8:36 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine

I went outside at 3 PM today and noticed that the hundreds of ant mounds in my backyard were all sending up their queens and drones. At least two different species. I decided to photograph and film them. I had ants crawling all over my hair, the camera, everywhere. Once they came back down it was amazing how fast they started shedding their wings. I didn't mess with the speed of the film at all, they were going the speed shown in the film. Busy busy. Not every day your entire back yard is full of swarms of ants. For those of you that can't get enough of ants taking off for their nuptial flights, here is the short link to a quick video I put together of a couple nests. If this isn't allowed or posted in the wrong place let me know. Thought you all might enjoy it.

Edited by Naturenut1233, September 11 2017 - 8:42 PM.

• Shaye, Nathant2131 and Aquaexploder like this

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#2 Offline Shaye - Posted September 11 2017 - 8:47 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
Nice short video. No matter how much you've seen their pre-flight congregations, it still ends up being interesting to watch. Perhaps just because there are so many queens!

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted September 11 2017 - 8:56 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Lasius neoniger?

AND great footage.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 11 2017 - 9:08 PM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine

Yeah I'm guessing lasius but not good at distinguishing down more than that. I know that one type was reddish brown and the other type was these little yellow workers with reddish queens. Both were flying at the same time. Thanks for the compliments. I think my neighbors must think I'm crazy walking around my yard with test tubes and laying down photographing the dirt. :P 

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users