• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Outworld size

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted September 12 2017 - 10:05 AM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

I know this is going to be a highly subjective topic, depending on species and such, but I'd like to know what size outworlds you guys use as a general rules...  I've seen some very small, and I've seen some rather large...  In another topic I see someone turning an 18 gallon aquarium into a 2 species vivarium..  which initially I thought was way too small...  but I'm rather new to this, and am probably wrong...  

I am founding 3 colonies currently, and none have outworlds currently...  I have tons of dry aquariums around (ranging from 2.5 gallons up to 30 gallons), and plan to turn them into outworlds as needed...  But, what's too much space vs too little?  At what point do you determine you need to expand to a second outworld?  

Anyway, just looking for everyone's preference and opinion on outworld size?

• lucas3431 likes this

#2 Offline lucas3431 - Posted September 12 2017 - 10:27 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

I know this is going to be a highly subjective topic, depending on species and such, but I'd like to know what size outworlds you guys use as a general rules...  I've seen some very small, and I've seen some rather large...  In another topic I see someone turning an 18 gallon aquarium into a 2 species vivarium..  which initially I thought was way too small...  but I'm rather new to this, and am probably wrong...  

I am founding 3 colonies currently, and none have outworlds currently...  I have tons of dry aquariums around (ranging from 2.5 gallons up to 30 gallons), and plan to turn them into outworlds as needed...  But, what's too much space vs too little?  At what point do you determine you need to expand to a second outworld?  

Anyway, just looking for everyone's preference and opinion on outworld size?

Can you list your species, it will help members in advance to help your Ants required needs :).

I'm new to this hobby to, I have two queens with eggs, larvae and pupa but no nanitics yet, the options I have decided on are to start of small and grow as the colonies grow (hopefully), you can however create or buy addon nest or outworlds to keep expanding to whatever size you want or that your Ants require. My opinion is for small colonies is to let them have a smallish outworld, to me they might feel more secure remember that's just my opinion I'm sure other members will have their own ideas to. Out worlds or nests for new small colonies don't need to be that large but do keep in mind of the growth speed of each species.

Ps welcome to the Colony.

• NanceUSMC likes this

#3 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted September 12 2017 - 11:04 AM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

Thanks for the welcome =)

Right now I"m founding a Camponotus Sayi and a Camponotus Festinatus...  And I have a Pogonomyrmex Barbatus queen with about half a dozen workers and a handful of larvae...

My initial thoughts were to give the Pogonomyrmex a 5g tank as an outworld...  which would probably work for a year or so...  

basically just curious how others do it with their colonies =)

• lucas3431 likes this

#4 Offline BMM - Posted September 13 2017 - 8:16 AM

BMM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

I only have a single small colony and they're using a an outworld that's something like 8x4x4 inches and it's plenty big for them. Ants, like most insects, don't require a lot of space to thrive. If you're used to aquarium rules, then something like a 10 gallon might seem tiny, but that can hold thousands of ants. I think the only rule of thumb I've heard of about outworlds is that you should add another one when your colony is pretty much carpeting the current ones.

• Naturenut1233, lucas3431 and NanceUSMC like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users