• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Red Runner Roaches Housing

cockroach red runner cockroach farm cockroach housing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ender Ants - Posted September 4 2017 - 2:11 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Is it ok to have Red Runner Roaches (Turkestan Cockroach) to be in test tubes as an alternative set up? Or is there a better set up that you can use other than with them in tubs with cardboard? I know that if they would need a lot more space, but is there an alternative to that?

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 5 2017 - 6:38 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

test tube setup will not work. Just use a topaware container. B)

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 5 2017 - 2:35 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

This is an invasive species so if not already established in your area you need to be very careful to prevent escapes.

• Martialis likes this

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted September 5 2017 - 3:03 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

This is an invasive species so if not already established in your area you need to be very careful to prevent escapes.

Not only for the environment, but your house too! :lol:
  • gcsnelling and Martialis like this

#5 Offline Ender Ants - Posted September 7 2017 - 7:47 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

test tube setup will not work. Just use a topaware container. B)

Is there anything else I can use?

Oh don't worry, I find a lot of these in my area!

#6 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted September 8 2017 - 9:28 AM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Cardboard has a few good advantages. High surface area, inert and edible (it WILL be eaten), wicks and disperses moisture from waste/food/dead, traps heat to create a temperature gradient, and obviously it blocks light, though red runners don't care too much about this.

Can I ask what your goal is by avoiding tubs and cardboard? Is it hard for you to find locally?

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted September 8 2017 - 10:04 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Can I ask what your goal is by avoiding tubs and cardboard? Is it hard for you to find locally?

That's what I'm wondering. Shouldn't be difficult to find, they are everywhere. Go to Wal-mart and grab one of the 50 choices, or just get them online.

#8 Offline Ender Ants - Posted September 10 2017 - 12:10 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Cardboard has a few good advantages. High surface area, inert and edible (it WILL be eaten), wicks and disperses moisture from waste/food/dead, traps heat to create a temperature gradient, and obviously it blocks light, though red runners don't care too much about this.

Oh, I just want to have them in a clear environment, like glass, but doesn't take up too much space. Like a jar, or something that can be placed on a desk. ( 2ft x 2ft )

#9 Offline GeorgeK - Posted September 10 2017 - 1:06 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

I use plastic container with egg cartons and it works out perfectly, also if you want to keep them in 2x2ft container, I'm guessing that is 60x60cm which is even bigger than my current setup i don't think you will have problem, also if you don't have egg cartons you can always use toilet paper rolls

#10 Offline Ender Ants - Posted September 10 2017 - 1:17 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

I use plastic container with egg cartons and it works out perfectly, also if you want to keep them in 2x2ft container, I'm guessing that is 60x60cm which is even bigger than my current setup i don't think you will have problem, also if you don't have egg cartons you can always use toilet paper rolls

k thanks!

#11 Offline Formicarius - Posted September 10 2017 - 1:37 PM

Formicarius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGermany

I actually had a few escapes but managed to capture them all in one spot right next to the dishwasher. I checked everywhere for egg sacs but couldn't find any.

Looks like they need higher temperatures for reproducing and they can't climb any flat surfaces either.

Honestly there are a lot worse roach species that could get loose in your House.

#12 Offline Ender Ants - Posted September 10 2017 - 1:43 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

I actually had a few escapes but managed to capture them all in one spot right next to the dishwasher. I checked everywhere for egg sacs but couldn't find any.

Looks like they need higher temperatures for reproducing and they can't climb any flat surfaces either.

Honestly there are a lot worse roach species that could get loose in your House.

K thanks for the advice! And I literally just saw your comment on RobJ's Ants newest video lol

• Formicarius likes this

#13 Offline GeorgeK - Posted September 10 2017 - 2:15 PM

GeorgeK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSiberia

About escapees, only males have wings so only they have chance of flying out, altho they don't fly very much, and if a female runs away, its usually when you are opening lid so you see her escaping and can quickly hunt her down. Also if a female escapes, only place i would look for eggs would be humid spots because eggs shiver without humidity and die out very quickly. Overall if a female runs away, look at humid and warm spots for eggs :) Also in almost 2 years of keeping red roaches, i never had one escape for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cockroach, red runner, cockroach farm, cockroach housing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users