So before I begin, I just want to say that I'm not just writing this for fun. I'm also using this journal as a way of learning. This is my first colony, so if I make a mistake, or if you have a more efficient way of doing something, please let me know.
I caught this queen on the Fourth of July. I found her under a slab of stone, sharing a claustral chamber with a second Tetramorium dealate (If some one can try and explain this, please do. I'm not aware of Tetramorium sp. E being polygynous or pleomatroic). One escaped into the leaf litter, but I caught the second.
A few weeks later her brood pile consisted of mostly larvae, and a few eggs. At this point, I left for vacation. Five weeks later, when I got back, she had a decent brood pile and three workers, all still pale, meaning they had just recently eclosed.
The next few weeks, nothing big happened. Then a few days ago while looking under stones for dealates, I found a Tetramorium brood room. I decided to collect some to brood boost my colony, which was now at about 8 workers. They were quick at carting away the brood, but I managed to get a dozen or so pupae and a few larvae. My colony accepted them instantly without a second thought. I think the addition of larger, healthier workers to the colony (as nanitics are generally smaller and weaker than standard workers) will help the colony greatly.
Now that brings us to today. I decided to give them an outworld , since placing food directly into the test tube causes unnecessary stress to the queen. I took an AC outworld that came with my Tetramorium Hybrid Nest (which is what I'm planning on moving them into once they reach an ample size) and poured a thin layer of sand on the bottom. I sprinkled a few small pumice stones here and there. I then placed an old condiment container lid in the sand to serve as a flat surface to place food on. On it I placed a small byFormica Galileo Liquid Feeder filled with sugar water, a crushed cricket, and a crumbled up fish flake. I the removed the cotton from the entrance of their test tube and placed it in the sand with the entrance facing the food. I then placed the whole setup in a cabinet. I will check on them in a couple of days.