• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Effects of CO2 on Ants.

carbon dioxide ants

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 24 2014 - 12:54 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If an ant was in an airtight container of carbon dioxide, what would be the direct/ immediate effects on the ant?

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 24 2014 - 3:22 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Decreased movement followed by the illusion of death.

I sometimes put a cap on small tubes filled to the brim with Solenopsis invicta, and hours later they all look completely dead.  Once I remove the cap and allow in fresh air, and they become resurrected after a short time.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 24 2014 - 3:25 AM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Mathiacus - Posted November 24 2014 - 3:23 AM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Illusion? How long can they last in an o2 deprived state?

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 24 2014 - 3:29 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Illusion? How long can they last in an o2 deprived state?

Insects don't have the same oxygen requirements as vertebrates or many other animals.  

Even humans can survive in such an environment if the body temperature is dropped low enough, such as with hypothermia; so it is likely that cold-bloodedness plays a role.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Mathiacus - Posted November 24 2014 - 3:44 AM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
Ah! Thanks. I honestly never thought of insects as comd blooded, it is silly, but I never thought of them as blooded at all. Even though I know they have a heart and stuff. They were always just chitin full of goop to me.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 24 2014 - 5:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well technically they're cold-Hemolymphed. :D

• drtrmiller likes this

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 24 2014 - 2:29 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well, I was thinking of incorporating CO2 gas into my black light trap, I was hoping that when a queen slips into the funnel and down into the bin, the bin would be filled with CO2 gas, which would put her in dormancy. This would be nice to avoid stressing them, aggression between different species, keeping them from chewing the sponge on the bottom of the bin that is meant to keep them moist, and to keep them from any attempts to climb out. Would this work without killing them? I honestly do not care what happens to other insects that fly in, hopefully the same thing to keep them from getting aggressive.

• drtrmiller likes this

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 24 2014 - 3:36 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Definitely something worth looking into, Greg.  May be more difficult than you think, but the premise is spot on.

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 24 2014 - 3:46 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I already am thinking of using small pellets or dry ice pre-sublimated into gas, and because the bin would be air tight from the bottom, the only entry/exit if from the top (the funnel where queens fall into) but there is no way it can escape from there as it is heavier than oxygen. :D

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 24 2014 - 10:36 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Is this uv trap a concept or something you've tried before? Sounds like an interesting idea.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 24 2014 - 11:12 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

UV Lights are known to attract insects, including queen ants. Drew has a few threads on his black light trap ideas, and I think, that this season he used something like this:

*Image not mine.*

I know Drew caught a bunch of queens from this black lit tarp this year and last, but now both of us are stepping up and attempting to make actual traps. :D

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 25 2014 - 6:53 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well I started making my trap before last season, but failed horribly, and didn't bother finishing it before the season started. Hopefully this winter I'll finish it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carbon dioxide, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users