• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hibernation

hibernation hibernating colonies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 7 2017 - 3:51 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
So this is my first year of ant keeping, and since winter is approaching I was wondering when to start hibernating my ants and when to take them out of hibernation. I know that this seems like a silly question, but every time I look it up, it says how to but not when. Thanks for your help!

#2 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 7 2017 - 4:05 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

So this is my first year of ant keeping, and since winter is approaching I was wondering when to start hibernating my ants and when to take them out of hibernation. I know that this seems like a silly question, but every time I look it up, it says how to but not when. Thanks for your help!

During winter months depending on the location you're in. Varies by species also. I'm sure more seasoned anters will chime up. Dec-March is how long I'm doing it

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#3 Offline dermy - Posted September 7 2017 - 5:02 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

For Canada [at least for me] Hibernation "should" last from November till May. But generally speaking 3-5 months [depending on location, species etc.] is a good safe bet. 

#4 Offline klawfran3 - Posted September 7 2017 - 6:28 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Heck here where I am I could probably put them in hibernation for 8 months since it can snow all year round... I'm only doing it from nov/dec to mar/apr since that seems to be the most appropriate.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted September 8 2017 - 11:12 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Heck here where I am I could probably put them in hibernation for 8 months since it can snow all year round... I'm only doing it from nov/dec to mar/apr since that seems to be the most appropriate.

Longest I leave mine in for is about four months. I generally do 3 however.The one time I left them in for four, they were rather thin looking. On the plus side they were very active and foraging like crazy once they woke up.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hibernation, hibernating colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users