• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Neoniger Brood Boosted with hundreds of cocoons.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted September 5 2017 - 8:58 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

[STORY] So, about 2 weeks ago I caught a few Lasius Neoniger queens. Yesterday I was doing some voluntaary yard work with a few others. We were about to use a tractor to til the soil. However first we had to move some rocks. I moved one to find a huge Lasius neoniger colony with a HUGE amount of cocoons. So I took them, since they were all going to get smashed anyway for my queen. No surprise i found the colony, as they are everywhere around here. Probably the most common species. So I put all these cocoons in a nest, and introduced the queen. At first she seemed rather skeptical of the whole deal, but I think once she soon realized it was just the cocoons and no workers or queen, she got rather excited and started moving them around and just appeared to be very content.

• klawfran3, Phoenix, Spamdy and 2 others like this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline lucas3431 - Posted September 5 2017 - 9:03 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

She must of felt as if she just won the lottery, that was a nice save congrats.

How many cocoons do you think you saved?

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted September 5 2017 - 10:07 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

:lol:  Not sure, couldn't fit them all in there. I ended up distributing some out to other colonies as well because I had so many.

#4 Offline lucas3431 - Posted September 5 2017 - 10:19 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

:lol:  Not sure, couldn't fit them all in there. I ended up distributing some out to other colonies as well because I had so many.

Ok that's impressive, the colony must of been fairly old, I'll give a guess of about two years heading into it's third.

#5 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 5 2017 - 10:39 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Good to know I'm not the only one who does this kind of thing :D

• Spamdy and lucas3431 like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#6 Offline Hikari - Posted September 5 2017 - 10:39 PM

Hikari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio, USA

Nice save! I love how well Lasius (and Formica) take to adopted pupa. Once they realize they're not a threat, it's like 'yes, you are all my children now, and I love you'.

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted September 6 2017 - 12:52 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I often read that new workers need some help to come out of the cocoons. A single queen won't be able to help all ants out of all the cocoons.

• drtrmiller likes this

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 6 2017 - 5:47 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I often read that new workers need some help to come out of the cocoons. A single queen won't be able to help all ants out of all the cocoons.

Maybe he can collect some callow workers and add them to the colony as well.

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted September 6 2017 - 6:57 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Done it before. Queen will bust open a few cocoons, and the workers take care of it from there. Of course i haven't done it quite this extreme but I do believe it will work out. :)

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted September 6 2017 - 8:23 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Usually ants that are close to eclosing make twitching noises that can be hard by ants from quite some distance. Once the queen has freed her first workers they will be very competent ant finding and opening the cocoons that need help. Also it is very unlikely that all of them hatch at the same time and even if they hatch in bulks the young at can stay alive for quite a few days inside the cocoons (callows usually don't eat or drink anyway, effectively they will just eclose more hardened and ready-to-go than usual).

• lucas3431 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#11 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted September 10 2017 - 12:57 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Nice save! I love how well Lasius (and Formica) take to adopted pupa. Once they realize they're not a threat, it's like 'yes, you are all my children now, and I love you'.

Tetramorium take well to brood boosting too. I just boosted my 8 worker colony. They smelled them for a minute, then dragged the pupa to their brood pile. No problems have occurred so far.

• lucas3431 likes this

#12 Offline T.C. - Posted October 9 2017 - 3:04 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
For anyone who wishes to know the results, everything went fine. All workers hatched out. They did however put like 20 cocoons in the outworld that they showed no interest in.
  • Spamdy likes this

#13 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted October 9 2017 - 3:57 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

For anyone who wishes to know the results, everything went fine. All workers hatched out. They did however put like 20 cocoons in the outworld that they showed no interest in.

pic please!

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted October 9 2017 - 4:00 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

pic please!

Moved the colony to a dirt setup as I was getting mold. Wouldn't be able to get any good pictures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users