• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

List of polygynous ant species

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crystals - Posted September 20 2013 - 11:40 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I am hoping to create a list of true polygyne ants, the ones that are truely polygynous and won't kill each other after the first few months. 

If known, also add if they accept new queens once the colony is established.  I only know a few, but I am sure there are others out there.

I will keep updating this list.

Formica cinerea

Formica balcanina

Formica lugubris

Formica sanguinea

Formica ulkei

Lasius flavus

Linepithema humile

Monomorium ergatogyna

Monomorium pharaonis - new queens easily accepted.

Myrmica  (some species, like rubra)

Nylanderia spp.

Pheidole megacephala

Solenopsis molesta - new queens will readily group together, older colonies will not merge.

Tapinoma melanocephalum

Tapinoma sessile - new and old queens are easily accepted in another mature colony

Any others?

• Martialis and Ants_Texas like this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#2 Offline wook - Posted September 20 2013 - 12:04 PM

wook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Formica cinerea, Formica balcanina, Formica lugubris, Formica sanguinea, Lasius flavus...
I will try to think about more...

...:::]|wook|[:::...

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2013 - 12:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm no expert, but I am pretty sure these are polygyne species:

linepithema humile

Monomorium ergatogyna

Tapinoma sessile

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted September 20 2013 - 12:36 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Formica cinerea, Formica balcanina, Formica lugubris, Formica sanguinea, Lasius flavus...
I will try to think about more...

I thought Lasius flavus queens only cooperated until the colony was established, then fought  until only one queen was left?

• AnthonyP163 likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#5 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 20 2013 - 1:16 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Myrmicas!

#6 Offline wook - Posted September 20 2013 - 1:19 PM

wook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

I thought Lasius flavus queens only cooperated until the colony was established, then fought  until only one queen was left?

There's report of about 20 queens in colonies. I have not evidenced on my own, though.

You can also add Formica rufa to the list.

...:::]|wook|[:::...

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted September 20 2013 - 1:59 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Myrmicas!

Only some Myrmicas, I know I tried a few times to combine queens who hadn't even laid eggs yet and they wanted nothing to do with it.  Even if two were convinced to co-exist I am not sure how long it would last.  Do you know of any examples where the queens lived together more than 2 years?

My Colonies

#8 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 20 2013 - 3:44 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Only some Myrmicas, I know I tried a few times to combine queens who hadn't even laid eggs yet and they wanted nothing to do with it.  Even if two were convinced to co-exist I am not sure how long it would last.  Do you know of any examples where the queens lived together more than 2 years?

Were you absolutely sure they were the same species of Myrmica when you paired them? I was told that it is difficult to distinguish Myrmica species without DNA testing which is why the classifications for them are so messy. When I had Myrmicas, I had 5. They split into two groups, one with two queens, the other with three queens and stayed separated in the enclosure. And I have seen Myrmica colonies where the queens cooperated for more than a year on youtube.

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted September 20 2013 - 6:18 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

They may have been different species, but I have/had no way of telling. I know some like Myrmica rubra are polygynous, but with the ones I have locally I have only ever seen one queen per nest.

My Colonies

#10 Offline nepenthes - Posted September 21 2013 - 12:58 PM

nepenthes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCentral Ohio

Mericutia,

I was talking to a graduate student working with Myrmica in Washington State, she said that there are little things to note like what angle the antennae project, and how they project, slight curves, and how many hairs may be in certain crevices on the exoskeleton. I will talk to her and see if I can work up a key for Western North American Myrmica species.

#11 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted September 23 2013 - 8:07 AM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Some more polygynous species that are common in parts of North America would be Tapinoma melanocephalum, Nylanderia spp., Pheidole megacephala, Monomorium minimum, some Temnothorax and Leptothorax spp., Dorymyrmex spp., and some populations of Pogonomyrmex californicus.  The first three do not partake in mating flights and instead found new colonies through budding.   I believe all of the others are more typical in their founding strategies. 

I'll add more as I think of them.  

Edited by Myrmicinae, September 23 2013 - 8:17 AM.

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 2 2014 - 5:08 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Solenopsis invicta? Or no?

Sorry for bringing back all these old topics.  :D I have a bad habit of doing that...

Edited by Gregory2455, September 2 2014 - 5:08 PM.

#13 Offline Jelly - Posted May 1 2017 - 2:44 PM

Jelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I know this is an old topic, but rather than start a new one with a similar theme i figured id ask my question here.

Does anyone know a large size species in California that is a polygynous species?

The ones listed are such tinnie tiny ants.

#14 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted May 1 2017 - 2:53 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

I've heard Brachymyrmex can be polygynous (though I need to test that theory) as well as Prenolepis thus far, two of my Prenolepis queens have cooperated extremely well together.

#15 Offline Subverted - Posted May 1 2017 - 5:01 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I know this is an old topic, but rather than start a new one with a similar theme i figured id ask my question here.

Does anyone know a large size species in California that is a polygynous species?
The ones listed are such tinnie tiny ants.

I have seen polygynous Camponotus colonies out in the mountains but I would not say that it is a common occurrence.
  • LC3 and Jelly like this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#16 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted May 1 2017 - 6:53 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Myrmecocystus ​can be polygynous.

YJK

#17 Offline klawfran3 - Posted May 1 2017 - 9:07 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I'd say some types of Myrmica, not too sure if they're found all over california or if the ones there are polygynous but the ones here in Wyo can be

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#18 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted May 2 2017 - 4:40 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

add Monomorium emarginatum!

#19 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted May 2 2017 - 4:48 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Polygyny is not often a species-wide trait, but an evolutionary one. Tapinoma sessile, for example, will be monogynous or polygynous.

• Nathant2131 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#20 Offline AntswerMe - Posted May 7 2017 - 7:54 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
Only some Solenopsis invicta are polygynous. The vast majority of them are monogynous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users