• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Training ants ??!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dean_k - Posted November 18 2014 - 12:00 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I was looking at websites with a keyword "Ant colony for sale" to see who are selling what out there and came across a website that claims that a certain spp can be trained to take food from your hand ?!

Below is what was written.

Diacamma scalpratum

Common name:
      The Giant Ponerine Ant.

This is the largest ant we offer for sale. It is an aggressive hunter and will attack anything it finds.

Colonies are only small but because of the size of the ants they will require a large habitat enclosure.

This species can also be trained to take food from your hand!

Is that even possible?

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 18 2014 - 12:33 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
It is not training. Spp. that hunt alone such as Odontomachus will happily take food out of your hands,

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted November 18 2014 - 3:30 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I use tweezers to hand feed fruit flies when bored.  :D

Most of my ants would take food out of my hands (and just as happily take a piece out of my hands - or try to).  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline DesertAntz - Posted November 18 2014 - 5:34 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

I'm sure any hungry colony would take food from a hand. It's a food source and they'll take advantage of that. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#5 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 19 2014 - 5:19 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, other than a few species with extremely good eyesight, I wouldn't doubt any them would take food from your hands. I'm sure unless you breathe on them, they don't know what you are.

#6 Offline dean_k - Posted November 19 2014 - 4:46 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

How good is ant's eye sight anyway? I am sure it will vary depending on spp.

Myrmica for an example appear to be pretty much blind despite of having eyes.

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 19 2014 - 4:53 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Larger species which have solitary hunting workers such as Myrmecia, Odontomachus, and Paraponera.

Edited by Gregory2455, November 19 2014 - 4:53 PM.

#8 Offline dean_k - Posted November 19 2014 - 5:23 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

None of which is native to my area.

Having ant keeping hobby is a torture sometimes.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 20 2014 - 2:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

How good is ant's eye sight anyway? I am sure it will vary depending on spp.

Myrmica for an example appear to be pretty much blind despite of having eyes.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"Compared to vertebrates, most ants have poor-to-mediocre eyesight and a few subterranean species are completely blind. Some ants such as Australia's bulldog ant, however, have excellent vision and are capable of discriminating the distance and size of objects moving nearly a metre away."

We have some ants with decent eyesight, and some that are blind here where I live. Army ants are blind, and Pseudomyrmex have relatively good eyesight. I had a colony of Pseudomyrmex for a while.

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 20 2014 - 3:42 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Pseudomyrmex are amazing... I go all the time up into the mountains looking for them... No luck... :( Any specific place they like?

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 20 2014 - 4:43 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Pseudomyrmex are amazing... I go all the time up into the mountains looking for them... No luck... :( Any specific place they like?

Inside twigs?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted November 20 2014 - 4:59 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Inside twigs?

I know that part. :P I meant like certain plants, or other environmental factors.

#13 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 20 2014 - 5:04 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I know that part. :P I meant like certain plants, or other environmental factors.

I found mine on a River Birch tree in the yard.  They were rather high up and I had to use a ladder.  These were tiny Psuedomyrmex, however.  

I'm not sure if they prefer a common plant, or just opportunistically look for tiny dead twigs that have been bored by some beetle.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users