• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Orange Small Ant Queen

queen ant unknown help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Rutto23 - Posted August 31 2017 - 7:05 AM

Rutto23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I caught a queen after rainstorm.Saw myself how she ripped her wings.I don't know her species please help.Location:Romania.She can't be lasius latipes or claviger.

http://imgur.com/a/0m8AJi cannot upload images on this forum 

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 31 2017 - 7:22 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Cryptopone ochracea.

• Rutto23 likes this

#3 Offline Ant Broski - Posted August 31 2017 - 11:13 AM

Ant Broski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNormandy Park, WA

Cryptopone ochracea.

Nice quizzes

#4 Offline Rutto23 - Posted August 31 2017 - 9:02 PM

Rutto23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Cryptopone ochracea.

Thanks a lot.Also do you have any tips for raising this queen?I can't find much about this species.Only their size and that they live in europe and saudi arabia.

#5 Offline VoidElecent - Posted September 4 2017 - 9:47 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Cryptopone ochracea.

Thanks a lot.Also do you have any tips for raising this queen?I can't find much about this species.Only their size and that they live in europe and saudi arabia.

From what I know, these ants are pretty rare and inconspicuous. I'd recommend raising them as you would with semi-claustral queens.

#6 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted September 5 2017 - 12:51 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Yes, C. ochracea. I found queens from this species twice but didn't have much success. I kept the first one in a test tube filled whit substrate. She made some tunnels and and small chamber and settled well, from time to time she would come to forage and take back fruit flies and springtails back to her chamber. Species that fly at this time of the year do not lay eggs now but wait for hibernation and then lay eggs in spring. I decided to trick her and brought her for a week outside in the cold and then back in. The next day I noticed she had laid a very elongate egg but soon it got eaten. She was then placed in hibernation again. In the middle of winter the problem whit the test tube setup came the water had dried out fully. I took her out of hibernation and tried to move her to a soil nest but she refused to dig again and died. The other queen I caught last year managed to escape from the nest I made for her. So the thing is you will need to make a setup whit high humidity and a renewable water source because this is not a species you could easily move from one test tube to another. I have now made a new setup, a small grout nest whit one chamber filled whit soil and a tube leading to a water tank underneath the chamber. For this I use 2 Tic tac boxes. I can't really explain but I can post pics if you want. I hope to find a queen this season to try this out. Good luck!

Edited by Jonathan21700, September 5 2017 - 12:52 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen, ant, unknown, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users