• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Fort Worth!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted August 30 2017 - 4:02 PM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

Hi all!

New to the forum, and brand new to the hobby...

A bit about me personally...  I live in Fort Worth, and work as an IT Applications Analyst for a local hospital...  We currently have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a quarterhorse (although my wife is the equestrian)...  I am a fairly advanced aquarist, maintaining no less than a dozen aquariums at any given time, focusing primarily on the breeding of Full Red Koi Angels and invertebrates...

Currently, I own no colonies and am still in my research stage...  I have long had a fascination with myrmecology, and have decided to take my first steps into the realm...  My intention is to transform some of my dry aquariums into formicariums, with the hope that I'm able to do so scaping them to a natural look and feel, perhaps a terrarium setup...  I am still doing my research on what species are available to me locally, and have found a handful that interest me greatly, although I suspect they may not be great for beginners (Atta, Acromyrmex and Pogonomyrmex)...  I anticipate the 'easiest' colony for me to keep would be the Solenopsis living outside my back door (which is going to be where my wife draws the line lol)...

At this point I'm looking for all the advice and information I can obtain (even if it's not particularly what I WANT to hear!)...  

Look forward to learning from you all!

• T.C., Spamdy, FeedTheAnts and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Leo - Posted August 30 2017 - 4:03 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

hello from china

• NanceUSMC likes this

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted August 30 2017 - 5:04 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Welcom from Wisconsin! I also have a few aquariums. (Planted because I like the natural part of it. ) Also enjoy breeding bugs aND stuff like that.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Spamdy - Posted August 30 2017 - 5:10 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Hi all!

A bit about me personally...  I live in Fort Worth, and work as an IT Applications Analyst for a local hospital...  We currently have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a quarterhorse (although my wife is the equestrian)...  I am a fairly advanced aquarist, maintaining no less than a dozen aquariums at any given time, focusing primarily on the breeding of Full Red Koi Angels and invertebrates...

Currently, I own no colonies and am still in my research stage...  I have long had a fascination with myrmecology, and have decided to take my first steps into the realm...  My intention is to transform some of my dry aquariums into formicariums, with the hope that I'm able to do so scaping them to a natural look and feel, perhaps a terrarium setup...  I am still doing my research on what species are available to me locally, and have found a handful that interest me greatly, although I suspect they may not be great for beginners (Atta, Acromyrmex and Pogonomyrmex)...  I anticipate the 'easiest' colony for me to keep would be the Solenopsis living outside my back door (which is going to be where my wife draws the line lol)...

At this point I'm looking for all the advice and information I can obtain (even if it's not particularly what I WANT to hear!)...  

Didn't  I direct you here from the Facebook group? :P

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#5 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted August 30 2017 - 5:35 PM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

Welcom from Wisconsin! I also have a few aquariums. (Planted because I like the natural part of it. ) Also enjoy breeding bugs aND stuff like that.

I love the natural, planted look as well, and have live plants in most of my tanks............  but!.....  I'm terrible with them lol...  they're all sad little plants =( heh

Hi all!

Didn't  I direct you here from the Facebook group? :P

Hey Houston!  You drying out down there???

• Spamdy likes this

#6 Offline Spamdy - Posted August 30 2017 - 5:36 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Yup, Harvey's moved away by now.

• NanceUSMC likes this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#7 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 31 2017 - 10:11 AM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

From the knowledge I have acquired in the few months I've been heavily researching ant keeping, Pogonomyrmex. spp is actually a great beginner species. I currently have P. californicus. They can't climb smooth surfaces and since are pretty big so can see them easy.

I have an ant wiki with ant keeping data you may want to check out, it's relatively new, about 2 weeks old but has some spp. info may be helpful.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#8 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted August 31 2017 - 12:40 PM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

From the knowledge I have acquired in the few months I've been heavily researching ant keeping, Pogonomyrmex. spp is actually a great beginner species. I currently have P. californicus. They can't climb smooth surfaces and since are pretty big so can see them easy.

I have an ant wiki with ant keeping data you may want to check out, it's relatively new, about 2 weeks old but has some spp. info may be helpful.

How about that sting, though?  That's my biggest hesitation with these guys...

#9 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 31 2017 - 2:47 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Never been stung, yet. Use gloves if you are THAT worried, I have it listed as 3/10 on pain scale on wiki. I've been told you get used to it.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#10 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted August 31 2017 - 2:59 PM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

Never been stung, yet. Use gloves if you are THAT worried, I have it listed as 3/10 on pain scale on wiki. I've been told you get used to it.

A 3/10 is no biggie =)

What gave me pause was while doing my research I came across this nut lol

Which then led me to the Schmidt Insect Sting Pain Index, which put them at a 3 out of 4

https://en.wikipedia...ting_pain_index

soooooooo, that made me wonder just how bad that sting really is...  and if it's on par with Yellow Jackets, well.......  I'm a Marine, and not scared of much....  But Yellow Jackets rank awful high on my list LOL  ;-)

#11 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 31 2017 - 3:17 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

A 3/10 is no biggie =)

What gave me pause was while doing my research I came across this nut lol

Which then led me to the Schmidt Insect Sting Pain Index, which put them at a 3 out of 4

https://en.wikipedia...ting_pain_index

soooooooo, that made me wonder just how bad that sting really is...  and if it's on par with Yellow Jackets, well.......  I'm a Marine, and not scared of much....  But Yellow Jackets rank awful high on my list LOL  ;-)

Well, guess only one way to find out... btw that is P. badius, while I have P. californicus I will update the wiki once I get the courage and the workers to get stung by. TBH you are probably right, prob more painful. Again, using simple gloves will solve this small inconvenience.

Edited by StopSpazzing, August 31 2017 - 3:21 PM.

#12 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted August 31 2017 - 3:35 PM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

Well, guess only one way to find out... btw that is P. badius, while I have P. californicus I will update the wiki once I get the courage and the workers to get stung by. TBH you are probably right, prob more painful. Again, using simple gloves will solve this small inconvenience.

P. badius is (was? heh) one of the colonies I was looking at obtaining...  There are several available in my area...

Another that's available is Acromyrmex Versicolor...  I'd REALLY like to keep these, but having relatively little experience that may not be the best of species to try to start out with...

#13 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 31 2017 - 3:47 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome to the forum!

I do not suggest starting with Acromyrmex versicolor, as they are extremely finicky and hard to get started.  I've been trying to keep a few colonies over the past two years and no luck so far.  As of now, I have 5 queens (I had bad luck collecting them as the containers I put them in killed them all) and I'm getting them started on one chunk of fungus.  Pogonomyrmex are an easy genus to start with and I don't think their stings are that bad, but I also have an abnormally high pain tolerance.  

#14 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted August 31 2017 - 5:03 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

One could say Zeiss is a mutant.

So.. once I get a chance to get stung, I'll let you know.

#15 Offline NanceUSMC - Posted September 1 2017 - 8:25 AM

NanceUSMC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationFt Worth, Tx

I'll let you gung ho lads test that out and get back to me ;-)

Also, after talking with a few, I think maybe I should refocus my first colony to something a bit more beginner friendly...  Perhaps Camponotus Atriceps or Camponotus Vicinus?

#16 Offline B2-Bomber-Ants - Posted October 3 2017 - 10:36 PM

B2-Bomber-Ants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Semper Fi fellow Marine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users