• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Delton, Michigan — August 29, 2017

id queen id tapinoma brachymyrmex

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 29 2017 - 5:56 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Date of collection: late July

Habitat of collection: oak/pine forest

Length: 3-4mm

I caught her at a sandy beach on the edge of a freshwater lake (in between two large formica colonies, if that helps). I saw her as a small black dot struggling to climb a pile of sand. At first I ignored her, thinking she was some random bug, but then i noticed the shimmer of the wings. As soon as I collected her, even before I put her in a proper test tube setup, she began to break off her wings. Also, if this is useful, she has an excellent grip on smooth surfaces.

Sorry about the photos being external links. I tried to add them the way I normally do, but it wouldn't work this time.

https://lh3.google.c...w2560-h1406-iv1

https://lh3.google.c...w2560-h1406-iv1

I apologize for the bad photo quality, as I am not good a photography.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:07 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I'm sorry, but the links don't work. Try embedding the photos; that may help. If you're having too much trouble, it wouldn't hurt to describe the ant's figure and coloration; we may be able to narrow it down to at least a subfamily and maybe a genus.

#3 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:33 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I'm sorry, but the links don't work. Try embedding the photos; that may help. If you're having too much trouble, it wouldn't hurt to describe the ant's figure and coloration; we may be able to narrow it down to at least a subfamily and maybe a genus.

They seem to work fine for me.

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:34 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I'm fairly certain that it's either Tapinoma sessile or brachymyrmex, but I can't get any further than that.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 29 2017 - 6:39 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'm guessing that you are hosting them from somewhere that only your login has permission to see?

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id, queen id, tapinoma, brachymyrmex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users