• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Colony is escaping!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline iXvXi - Posted August 29 2017 - 2:32 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I had the great idea of putting my C. pennsylvanicus colony in this 75 gallon tank.

20170802_132956.jpg

Well turns out, I'm finding it nearly impossible to keep them in the formicarium. No amount of fluon will keep them in, I tried sealing the tank but had severe humidity issues.

I placed steel mesh and sealed it to the top of the tank but they chewed threw it already.

Over 100 out of approximately 350 ants have escaped, and they tried relocating the colony as workers started carrying brood out of the tank.

I been putting the escapes in a Antscanada outworld, but I've already filled it with ants and I still haven't came up with a solution.

I don't have a backup nest either, other than a possible Rubbermaid bin for a temporary solution.

Any idea's on how to even relocate this colony? I don't see how I'd even relocate them without them doing it willingly.

Number of bites: 4 😭
  • Shareallicu and lucas3431 like this

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 29 2017 - 2:41 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Try filling the nest with water. That will flush the ants out of their hiding places. You will then be able to snag the queen and the workers (the brood isn't really necessary in a dire situation).

I'm not sure if this method will work. It worked with my yellow crazy ants from when I lived in hawaii.

You can also cut a plexiglass top, with air holes scattered about. You can either stuff cotton in the airholes or just surround them with fluon.

Edited by Connectimyrmex, August 29 2017 - 2:42 PM.

• iXvXi likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 29 2017 - 2:47 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

You can prevent them from escaping by just making a baby powder barrier at the top. They won't be able to escape from that. Also, because of the humidity, the fluon is useless.

• LC3 and iXvXi like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#4 Offline iXvXi - Posted August 29 2017 - 3:14 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to grab some baby powder on the way home from work tonight. You're referring to the upper lip of the tank correct? A thick layer should be adequate?

I just need to buy myself some time until I can come up with a viable solution to keep them in this tank.

I would of never moved them out of their previous setup if I had known how problematic this tank would become. My 3k+ Tetramorium colony took their old tank, and there's way they're giving that tank up.

#5 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 29 2017 - 3:20 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Yep.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#6 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted August 30 2017 - 10:58 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Just remember this-
When in doubt, use baby powder. Even my odorous house ants can't climb it, and they've concered almost all barriers i can think of.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 30 2017 - 11:10 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Easy Fish Tank Lid - $15 HDPE Cutting Board. Perfectly flat on one side/other is a cutting board. Weights simply because I was using them before.

NOTHING gets out now. Can't slide a piece of paper in between the layers.

Humidity sits @89% but creeps up slowly to 94%. Condensates on stuff. Use a fan to move the air out.

Needing to cut a hole and then glue in a mesh screen -- been busy. Also needing to update my journal to show how I've gotten a different lid because I got up to at least 40 escaping.

• Martialis and T.C. like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted August 30 2017 - 1:05 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Cooking oil is great for a TEMPORARY barrier.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#9 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 30 2017 - 1:25 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Fluon doesn't work as well on glass because of the relatively irregular, bumpy surface structure of the glass. Most any type of lid combined with a live plant environment will result in relative humidity levels high enough to render Fluon useless very quickly. Finally, Fluon doesn't work on the silicone adhesive beads used for the joints.

What do you have to do to get C. pennsylvanicus to bite you? When mine have escaped, I let them crawl on me and then just shake them off back into the container.
  • iXvXi likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#10 Offline Robttyl - Posted September 5 2017 - 3:02 AM

Robttyl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Is it bad to take a queen but has already have a colony in the wild? or should i bring some workers? just wondering please help me coz my queen is not laying eggs

#11 Offline Antking117 - Posted September 5 2017 - 3:44 AM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

They chewed through steel mesh? 

#12 Offline iXvXi - Posted September 5 2017 - 4:29 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Baby powder seemed to do the trick!

Originally, yeah they chewed through 2 layers of steel mesh within a few hours. I could hear them widening the hole from my computer desk accross the room.

As for the bites. I use a rope string to pick them up, I simply tap them with the end and they bite the rope and stay on. Then I simply touch the end to something in their tank and they walk off.

80% of escapees were majors, and when I was putting them back in the tank, eventually the colony "alarm" went off. That combined with workers not getting off the rope in time. I found the majors weren't really the problem. The medium sized workers seem to be much more aggressive and prone to biting.

#13 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted December 3 2017 - 7:02 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

When you said you used baby powder, do you mean alone, or mixed with alcohol or something? Also, would baby powder be a good alternative to fluon, because fluon is so expensive.

#14 Offline Hunter - Posted December 4 2017 - 8:12 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

I had the great idea of putting my C. pennsylvanicus colony in this 75 gallon tank.

20170802_132956.jpg

Well turns out, I'm finding it nearly impossible to keep them in the formicarium. No amount of fluon will keep them in, I tried sealing the tank but had severe humidity issues.

I placed steel mesh and sealed it to the top of the tank but they chewed threw it already.

Over 100 out of approximately 350 ants have escaped, and they tried relocating the colony as workers started carrying brood out of the tank.

I been putting the escapes in a Antscanada outworld, but I've already filled it with ants and I still haven't came up with a solution.

I don't have a backup nest either, other than a possible Rubbermaid bin for a temporary solution.

Any idea's on how to even relocate this colony? I don't see how I'd even relocate them without them doing it willingly.

Number of bites: 4

have you tried a high gauge wire like 150-200

#15 Offline Hunter - Posted December 4 2017 - 8:14 AM

Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWaterboro Maine

20170802_132956.jpg

Number of bites: 4

have you tried a high gauge wire like 150-200

or a acrylic top

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users