• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Tetramorium bicarinatum Journal (Updated 12/4/20)

tetramorium journal

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Aaron567 - Posted February 23 2018 - 4:50 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

February 23, 2018

Lots of development since the last update. Three days ago I moved the colony into their first formicarium (an AusAnts Size 2 Acrylic nest) and they have over 130 workers now. That is about 100 workers gained in less than two months. They are getting such large workers that it is taking me a minute to actually spot the queen (Tetrionna). She completely blends in with them. Their nest is sitting inside a plastic container with sand at the bottom which is what is now their outworld.

She is right out in the open in this picture.

ffAHemh.jpg

Here they are moving into the new formicarium. They basically starting bringing the brood in immediately.

0PrOtKN.jpg

The queen with one of the larger workers.

Y75kMwu.jpg

Other pics.

2waSC3J.jpg

VmAAMnZ.jpg

0LDB90h.jpg

x7yues2.jpg

Q8xeQ6e.jpg

LTnUTgr.jpg

zQ1lH76.jpg

zdtCwgd.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, May 12 2018 - 10:18 AM.

• Jonathan21700, LC3, FeedTheAnts and 2 others like this

#22 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted February 23 2018 - 5:59 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Awesome! I'm gonna try these ants out again. Completely failed last time. 

#23 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted February 23 2018 - 7:07 PM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Nice! They look almost identical to Vollenhovia emeryi!

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#24 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 12 2018 - 4:29 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

May 12, 2018

Big news.. the first alates have arrived! Both male and female.

LkzPxd4.jpg

The colony has just over 200 workers now, but they did have a large die-off of about 50 workers a few weeks ago due to humidity reasons. I had a feeling they would be getting alates soon because of how quickly this species matures. I have seen one female and three males so far. I did not realize they were even creating alates until yesterday when I spotted a couple male pupae, because they've been packing their brood so tightly together and because the alate brood is the same size as the worker brood.

In the pictures below you can clearly see the little female alate and I've circled the three males.

1gNupmV.jpg

lb7Wchv.jpg

And now, since this species mates in the nest, we will have to wait for this colony to become a multi-queen colony. I will probably get the colony moved into a new formicarium in the next few weeks, and maybe they'll have some new queens by then!

sOXWcgc.jpg

• Jonathan21700, rdurham02 and TennesseeAnts like this

#25 Offline irvosanjose - Posted May 12 2018 - 5:04 PM

irvosanjose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Love your pictures.

#26 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 21 2018 - 2:10 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

On June 1, I noticed an alate in the nest that looked strange. When I looked closer, I immediately knew what it was.

1x0Ik1j.jpg

yGeik8V.jpg

nrBEXCh.jpg

A bilateral gynandromorph alate. A bilateral gynandromorph is an animal that is born as both male and female, with one side of its body being male and the other side being female, split down the middle with a straight line. The male side of the alate had male mandibles, legs, antennae, eyes, and color while the female side had the female characteristics. 

This alate lived a great life of about 2.5 weeks, from June 1 to June 17. 

(A picture showcasing its female side)

btDiFwI.jpg

June 20, 2018

This is what they are looking like right now. They've been in this new formicarium for several weeks.

4kvmZut.jpg

ktu6Tnt.jpg

Z8wkxt4.jpg

Yesterday the female alates were all crowding around the outworld's air vent like they wanted to fly.

ABz8W7u.jpg

I also noticed yesterday that one of the females has shed her wings. I am not sure if this dealate is mated or not but she still roams the outworld. If she is indeed mated that would mean the colony now has two egg-laying queens. This female is also slightly larger and more colorful than the original founding queen. 

sA457YE.jpg

hAAQGpd.jpg

jdCas0a.jpg

(Other pictures)

A male alate.

uBMId04.jpg

A newly eclosed female.

tdvDZOs.jpg

Two female alates.

86zXkfo.jpg

The founding queen.

pIig1T2.jpg

• giraffedom likes this

#27 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted June 21 2018 - 2:18 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
That 50/50 gender alate is so cool!!!

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#28 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 12 2018 - 3:25 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

July 12, 2018

HKFzb0d.jpg

e94r8oj.jpg

The colony doesn't seem to be growing very much lately. I'm beginning to wonder if the single queen is only able to achieve around this many workers. There are now 4 dealate females besides the queen, but it appears they've only shed their wings to act as workers. When each female shed her wings, there were no males present (they were all dead by then). They also still forage and their gasters have not swollen with eggs like the original queen's has.

The wild nuptial flights of this species should be happening here pretty soon. If I catch any additional queens, I will certainly try to introduce them to this colony. This species is highly polygynous so I imagine they probably accept new queens from nuptial flights.

Here is the original queen, right in the middle.  

iR7lbRF.jpg

One of the dealate females.

mgdYEOt.jpg

Last week there was another strange alate born. I found out that it is an intercaste (different from the gynandromorph in the last post) between a male and a queen. It has the head of a male and the thorax and petiole of a queen.

On the left is the male-queen bilateral gynandromorph (female side), and on the right is the new male-queen intercaste. I'm preserving both.

fUnB6xW.jpg

• giraffedom, FeedTheAnts and AntsBC like this

#29 Offline AntsBC - Posted July 12 2018 - 4:01 PM

AntsBC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Do you know why this colony is founding so many weird/deformed alates or is it a species thing?

My Active Journals:

Formica pacifica

Formica planipilis (Parasitic sp.)

Instagram // YouTube 

#30 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 12 2018 - 6:55 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Do you know why this colony is founding so many weird/deformed alates or is it a species thing?

Apparently it is most common with colonies that are just starting to produce alates. 

#31 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted September 4 2018 - 5:54 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

update please.

Plants r cool

#32 Offline Aaron567 - Posted March 4 2019 - 5:49 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

March 4, 2019

The colony died several months ago. Didn't catch any new T. bicarinatum queens in 2018 so I hope I get some this year so I can have another colony. It was fun watching them get all those weird reproductives.

#33 Offline Leo - Posted March 4 2019 - 5:59 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

On June 1, I noticed an alate in the nest that looked strange. When I looked closer, I immediately knew what it was.

1x0Ik1j.jpg

yGeik8V.jpg

nrBEXCh.jpg

A bilateral gynandromorph alate. A bilateral gynandromorph is an animal that is born as both male and female, with one side of its body being male and the other side being female, split down the middle with a straight line. The male side of the alate had male mandibles, legs, antennae, eyes, and color while the female side had the female characteristics. 

This alate lived a great life of about 2.5 weeks, from June 1 to June 17. 

(A picture showcasing its female side)

btDiFwI.jpg

June 20, 2018

This is what they are looking like right now. They've been in this new formicarium for several weeks.

4kvmZut.jpg

ktu6Tnt.jpg

Z8wkxt4.jpg

Yesterday the female alates were all crowding around the outworld's air vent like they wanted to fly.

ABz8W7u.jpg

I also noticed yesterday that one of the females has shed her wings. I am not sure if this dealate is mated or not but she still roams the outworld. If she is indeed mated that would mean the colony now has two egg-laying queens. This female is also slightly larger and more colorful than the original founding queen. 

sA457YE.jpg

hAAQGpd.jpg

jdCas0a.jpg

(Other pictures)

A male alate.

uBMId04.jpg

A newly eclosed female.

tdvDZOs.jpg

Two female alates.

86zXkfo.jpg

The founding queen.

pIig1T2.jpg

I have a gyndanromorph worker at home too!

#34 Offline Rstheant - Posted March 4 2019 - 6:08 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
They look ugly. One mandible is larger than the other. But cool nonetheless.

#35 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 1 2020 - 11:25 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 1, 2020

Since using a new light setup for attracting queens, I have been able to catch my first Tetramorium bicarinatum alates since 2017. I got the first one on May 22 (an earlier date than any of the 2017 queens) at my light at dusk. On May 28, I got second one and at my light in the early morning hours of May 28, and there was also a dead one at the light that I didn't catch soon enough. I did not combine the second queen with the first one because I was afraid the first one may reject a second queen after being on her own for several days already. A few days ago I found out that my second queen escaped from her test tube anyway, because the cotton was far too loose. I expect to catch more queens of this species in the coming months, because in 2017 I was finding them up until September.

tHZ985V.jpg

Here is the queen's progress as of right now. So far I have fed her a single termite alate, and that has kept her gaster full for several days.

gfpV01W.jpg

bdP6dKE.jpg

• FeedTheAnts, Canadant, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

#36 Offline Canadant - Posted June 2 2020 - 12:26 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Great photos! Are those first ones top down looking into a test tube? How'd you do that? Awesome. Such a pretty ant.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 2 2020 - 12:43 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What light do you use, Aaron?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#38 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 5 2020 - 9:58 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Great photos! Are those first ones top down looking into a test tube? How'd you do that? Awesome. Such a pretty ant.

The first ones are from before she was test tubed, she was just in a little plastic container.

What light do you use, Aaron?

I use an 85-watt 6500K CFL bulb along with a 13-watt UV bulb. I leave them on at the same time. In this picture the UV bulb is hanging on the opposite side of the sheet but it's the fluorescent tube from BioQuip.

anEfRJA.jpg

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#39 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 6 2020 - 11:51 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 6, 2020

There are now several larvae. These pictures are from a couple days ago but she only has one wing left today. After these pictures she ate her second termite and some sugar water.

IWtWOpk.jpg

HuCTDu7.jpg

WGA8FhT.jpg

k2ENFEC.jpg

eJ4Ok6L.jpg

• VoidElecent, FeedTheAnts and AntsDakota like this

#40 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 6 2020 - 11:57 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Beautiful colony and beautiful pictures, as usual!

• Aaron567 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users