• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole megacephala Habitat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Seadogrun - Posted August 22 2017 - 6:42 PM

Seadogrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
So I now have several Pheidole megacephala(I think) all with eggs in test tube set ups. I'm thinking of what is next to come.

Is there any specific need when it comes to nest and out world? Can I put them in sand nests and let them dig their own tunnels(would be my preference) or would something plexi or hydrastone do better for them?

I know it is a lot of questions so thanks in advance for any replies.

#2 Offline Shaye - Posted August 22 2017 - 9:06 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
A basic dirt/sand nest is always mixed with some natural clay, as to strengthen tunnels and prevent collapse. The next concern is hydration, and for that I would recommend a bottom to top hydration system. A simple way is just to use a cut straw piece that reaches all the way down with a cotton ball on both ends (to prevent them from entering it) and a cotton ball on top. Then hydrate by taking the cotton off the top and replacing it when done.

That suggestion is garbage however compared to the incredible research and work that dspdrew has put into his formucarium research. Check out his topics on them if you want some of the best.

Edited by Shaye, August 22 2017 - 10:30 PM.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#3 Offline Seadogrun - Posted August 28 2017 - 3:47 PM

Seadogrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Thanks Shaye!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users