• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen or Drone?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shareallicu - Posted August 22 2017 - 1:54 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

What's a difference in male and female winged ants that would be obvious?  I'm in Lynnwood, Washington and found a small black shiny winged ant.  I will try to get pictures, but he/she gets freaked out when I try to lol

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 22 2017 - 1:57 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Female alates have broad thoraxs, drones do not. Drones are more wasp looking. Drones also have very big eyes and small heads.

• Shaye and Shareallicu like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline Shareallicu - Posted August 22 2017 - 2:07 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Thanks.   I'm working on better pics but I got one before she/he looked stressed.

Photobucket changed and now sucks, so I am not sure how to upload pictures anyway :(

#4 Offline Spamdy - Posted August 22 2017 - 2:28 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

I use Imgur, make an account, upload the pictures you want, then, go to gallery, press on the pictures, then the picture should expand, on the right side, a list of links should come up, direct link, bb code, I use direct link then press copy. After that go to Formiculture and press the image icon, its the one on the second row, somewhere in the middle. ( Its a square with a picture of a tree in it) When you press on the image icon, paste your Direct link from Imgur and the picture should come out. If it looks big when you upload it but once you post your comment, the size will be much smaller. Hope this helps. (It's better to use a computer for this) (you can also use other providers besides Imgur)

• Shaye and Shareallicu like this

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#5 Offline Shareallicu - Posted August 22 2017 - 3:05 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I use Imgur, make an account, upload the pictures you want, then, go to gallery, press on the pictures, then the picture should expand, on the right side, a list of links should come up, direct link, bb code, I use direct link then press copy. After that go to Formiculture and press the image icon, its the one on the second row, somewhere in the middle. ( Its a square with a picture of a tree in it) When you press on the image icon, paste your Direct link from Imgur and the picture should come out. If it looks big when you upload it but once you post your comment, the size will be much smaller. Hope this helps. (It's better to use a computer for this) (you can also use other providers besides Imgur)

Awesome thanks!  This ant really hates pictures :(  lol

#6 Offline Shareallicu - Posted August 22 2017 - 3:08 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Here is a terrible one... I'll keep trying she/he runs fast!  LoL

Edited by Shareallicu, August 22 2017 - 3:09 PM.

#7 Offline Spamdy - Posted August 22 2017 - 3:13 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

That's a queen.

Probably in the genus of Camponotus, Formica, Lasius, as their nuptial flight is going now and the head structure matches them. You can try to get her settled then take some proper photos and make an ID thread for her now that you know how to post the pictures. Nice catch!

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 22 2017 - 3:48 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Try shining a light at it to take better pictures. Also, measurements from head to gaster would be important.

To me this looks like Formica but the picture isn't great.

#9 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 22 2017 - 4:15 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

i would guess Camponotus genus looking at that typical head.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#10 Offline Shareallicu - Posted August 22 2017 - 10:51 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Try shining a light at it to take better pictures. Also, measurements from head to gaster would be important.

To me this looks like Formica but the picture isn't great.

My light was on!  The only thing I have to take pictures is my Samsung 3 phone :(  I know it looks like a picture of bigfoot lol :(

Edited by Shareallicu, August 22 2017 - 10:56 PM.

#11 Offline Shareallicu - Posted August 22 2017 - 10:54 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

That's a queen.

Probably in the genus of Camponotus, Formica, Lasius, as their nuptial flight is going now and the head structure matches them. You can try to get her settled then take some proper photos and make an ID thread for her now that you know how to post the pictures. Nice catch!

Awesome thanks!   I knew that the pictures would not help much, so all i wanted to really know for now was the gender :)   She is really jumpy and startles easy!  I'm trying to leave her alone asap.  Maybe once she feels safe, I will be able to take better pictures. THanks! :yahoo:

I gave her a piece of grape to eat :)

Edited by Shareallicu, August 22 2017 - 10:55 PM.

#12 Offline Cameron C. Thomas - Posted August 22 2017 - 11:21 PM

Cameron C. Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

I agree with Formica; so likely a Formica fusca group queen. I've seen queens running about here and there the last couple weeks down in Vancouver, especially after that bit of rain Washington had at the end of our dry spell. They do move quickly and take a while to calm down once agitated. She'll probably eat any eggs she lays if you bother her too much. I recommend putting her somewhere dark and warm and forgetting about her for a few weeks. 

#13 Offline Shareallicu - Posted August 23 2017 - 10:54 AM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I agree with Formica; so likely a Formica fusca group queen. I've seen queens running about here and there the last couple weeks down in Vancouver, especially after that bit of rain Washington had at the end of our dry spell. They do move quickly and take a while to calm down once agitated. She'll probably eat any eggs she lays if you bother her too much. I recommend putting her somewhere dark and warm and forgetting about her for a few weeks. 

Okay thanks!  She acted like she didn't want me around, so I think that makes sense :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users