• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Birds and Nuptial Flights

nuptial flights birds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline lucas3431 - Posted August 21 2017 - 11:13 AM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

So has anyone else ever noticed birds dancing or acrobating in the skies during a Nuptial flight?

On three occasions I have noticed this, today here in Ireland/Dublin it was rather easy to find queens than what it was nests, all thanks to the help of birds. The birds feast on the Ants as they mate in the skies above us. It is easy to judge how high the Ants fly. Here it seems L niger fly from 20ft - to about lets say 150ft.

Lesser Black backed Gulls don't have the flying abilities as the smaller birds do so they tend roam around on the ground picking off wandering Queens. The Common Gull has it rather handy food on the go in midair about 60ft.

As for the smaller birds such as Starling's it's enjoyable watching these little guys somersaulting around of highest about 60ft-100ft+.

The ones who really control the skies during this time are of course SwiftsSwallows and House Martins, they swoop around like little jet fighters taking mouthfuls of our six legged friends, hunting height are from 5ft-150ft+ and more haha, at this time of year these birds will be stocking up for their long migration journey back to Africa.

Just a little something I wished to share while out walking during a Nuptial Flight.

Edited by lucas3431, August 21 2017 - 11:16 AM.

• Heidispice likes this

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted August 21 2017 - 11:31 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

yeah, and when birds eat the flying alates they get "high" on formic acid.

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted August 21 2017 - 6:55 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Oh yeah! I've literally competed with birds at times. They can be on one side of a parking lot and wipe out all that is there before you can get there. For them it's easy pickings. Female alates are just these chubby bugs that can hardly fly with no maneuver ability at all.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#4 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 15 2017 - 7:41 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

There was a bird feasting on one of the ant colonies in my yard a few days ago!  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nuptial flights, birds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users