• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ant ID (Lasius sp.) (San Antonio Falls, Mt. Baldy, California) (6-22-2013)

Lasius San Antonio Falls Mt. Baldy California dspdrew ant id queen ant

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2013 - 10:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

1. Location of collection:  San Antonio Falls, Mt. Baldy, California.
2. Date of collection:  6-22-2013.
3. Habitat of collection:  Pine/Oak Forest.
4. Length (from head to gaster):  Queen: 7 mm; Worker: 3.5 mm.
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Queen: All brown; Worker: Brown thorax, dark brown head and gaster.

6. Distinguishing characteristics: Queen: Very flattened thorax. Workers: 12 antennal segments.

7. Distinguishing behavior: Spin cocoons.

I found the queen out on a different trail a little ways down the road from where I found the nest with the workers and alates. I was checking out some Camponotus, when she just landed on the piece of wood they were nesting in. I could tell that queen was the exact same species as the ants at nest I found earlier, plus they were obviously flying that night.

Queen

med_gallery_2_76_292121.jpg

med_gallery_2_76_76892.jpg

med_gallery_2_76_475274.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

IMGP0011.jpg

IMGP0012.jpg

IMGP0029.jpg

IMGP0032.jpg

IMGP0040.jpg

IMGP0017.jpg

IMGP0067.jpg

IMGP0068.jpg

IMGP0041.jpg

IMGP0052.jpg

Worker
IMGP0374.jpg

IMGP0387.jpg

IMGP0375.jpg

IMGP0382.jpg

IMGP0384.jpg

IMGP0393.jpg

IMGP0369.jpg

IMGP0390.jpg

Nest
IMAG1334.jpg

Habitat
IMAG1329.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 20 2013 - 10:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Dr. Trager seems to think these may be L. crypticus.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 8 2014 - 5:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I recently revisited this same nest this year and got some new specimens I was able to get pictures of with my microscope. Maybe these new pictures will confirm that these are L. crypticus, or suggest they're something else.

gallery_2_76_13727.jpg

gallery_2_76_4620.jpg

gallery_2_76_55522.jpg

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 13 2016 - 2:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
So it's been about two years since I last updated this thread, and I now have some microscope pictures of one of these queens. I recently caught a whole bunch of these queens, and every single one of them has the strange flattened thorax, so it's definitely not just some defect. Can any of the experts still confirm these are Lasius alienus as previously suggested.

The new Lasius [worker] images look like straight-up Lasius alienus (americanus) to me. The name in parentheses is currently in synonymy, but if anyone ever revises the Nearctic species in this genus, I expect "americanus" will become the species name for this ant.

The queens certainly don't look like the L. alienus queens I see everyone else post, with this strange thorax and all.

med_gallery_2_76_292121.jpg

med_gallery_2_76_76892.jpg

med_gallery_2_76_475274.jpg

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 2:41 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Still weird. I can only imagine that parasitism or disease is somehow involved. If it were mutation or speciation, then i'd figure we'd see the workers to show some evidence of this change, but they still look like the same ol' Lasius alienus or Lasius crypticus.

Edited by Batspiderfish, July 13 2016 - 2:41 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 13 2016 - 6:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Still weird. I can only imagine that parasitism or disease is somehow involved. If it were mutation or speciation, then i'd figure we'd see the workers to show some evidence of this change, but they still look like the same ol' Lasius alienus or Lasius crypticus.

Yes, but all the queens look this way (I have about 15 of them). These even came from a different area of the mountains. I'm pretty sure the ones I just caught are the same species as the one I caught three years ago. What are the chances there are two Lasius species in the same general area with queens that look this way? Another unique thing about them, is they fly in June. The ones two years ago did, and the ones I caught this year did as well.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted July 13 2016 - 6:25 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I saw the post where all the pros were stumped by this too.  :D

At least the workers key out. We do absolutely know that the queens came from the same nest, right?

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 13 2016 - 6:32 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If I remember right, the original alate was taken directly from the nest I got the workers from. I think I just removed her wings for the pictures. Most of the queens I have now are days away from getting their first workers, so we will know for sure what workers belong to them very soon. It's amazing how fast these things are developing. It's only been about 25 days so far.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 29 2016 - 10:19 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

So my queens finally got workers. These look different to me than the workers I found a long time ago. Are these even Lasius? Their gasters look kind of pointy. They're about 2.5 mm in length, have 12 antennal segments, and spin cocoons.

med_gallery_2_76_375653.jpg

med_gallery_2_76_335924.jpg

med_gallery_2_76_109389.jpg

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted August 2 2016 - 6:55 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The mounted queen still looks like Lasius to me, although I haven't stopped scratching my head about that mesonotum.

Edited by Batspiderfish, August 2 2016 - 6:55 AM.

----

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lasius, San Antonio Falls, Mt. Baldy, California, dspdrew, ant id, queen ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users