• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fine Mesh for Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Reevak - Posted August 16 2017 - 3:15 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

I'm planning on making an ant nest using something similar to the water towers used in TarHeelAnts' nests. The problem is that I can't find anywhere to buy a fine mesh that ants won't be able to pass through. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for making my nest humid without using a substrate to absorb water or if anyone knew where I could buy such a mesh for the nest. Thanks

#2 Offline MaxGen - Posted August 16 2017 - 5:57 PM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto
eBay. 100 micron mesh. You can also find 50 micron mesh. Not sure what mesh size Mack is using.

#3 Offline KBant - Posted August 16 2017 - 6:15 PM

KBant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

http://www.ebay.com/...UAAOSw8gVX39JT 

i bought this yesterday. 

how do you plan on making the watertower? i am curious if there are any guides to make something similar to tar heel ants

#4 Offline Bryce - Posted August 16 2017 - 7:30 PM

Bryce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Az
I buy all my micro mesh screen at a smoke shop. I can by (5) 1 inch pre cut circles for $1. Or a square 6" x 6" for $5. Check out a smoke shop first.

#5 Offline Reevak - Posted August 16 2017 - 8:09 PM

Reevak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

how do you plan on making the watertower? i am curious if there are any guides to make something similar to tar heel ants

Not sure how I'm going to make it exactly yet, but at the moment, I plan on using aquarium silicon to connect the mesh to a cup or other cylindrical object, then connecting a tube to the side of it that will lead out, allowing me to water it, and then just using unsanded grout to make up the nest and hold it in place. Not sure how it'll work out but I'm hoping it works out well because I need to move my Prenolepis imparis colony sooner rather than later.

Edit: I may just connect the mesh directly to the nest and then make it so that I can take the water tower out when I need to (for whatever reason) without causing any problems, since the mesh will separate the inside of the nest and the tower.

Edit (again): How does this mesh look https://www.amazon.c...stainless steel

Edited by Reevak, August 16 2017 - 8:19 PM.

#6 Offline MaxGen - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:42 AM

MaxGen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationToronto

I was thinking of ways to make the water tower like tarheel ants, and what I came up with was to clamp the screen between blocks, then stretch the mesh screen out suspended above the the ground.  Apply glue to the rim of the container and place it on the mesh until dry.  After that, cut the container out of the mesh.

You could make several water towers at a time on a square of stretched out mesh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users