• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NE Colorado - Yard invasion ID request

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 14 2017 - 6:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Need to start this one off by saying all three queens are dead.As such, I wasn't going to create a true-template ant ID request. I was not thinking and murder burned everyone and everything, before realizing my mistake. Still would like to know the ID if possible. 

Alright! So had an interesting run in over the weekend. Change of plans allowed me to be home on a Friday even. Doesn't happen usually so commence drinking! Twas a good week and drinks were aplenty. I had 6 or 7 8% though. Wasn't necessarily in a proper mode of thinking, to say the least.

Came bounding downstairs to see the neighbors giant raccoon of a cat at my back door. (He's buddy's with my cat). Naturally, I have to run outside and pick up the tardmonster for forced playing. My neighbors were outside and I began talking to them for... 10 seconds *itch*. As I'm talking to them *itch*, my legs *itch*, are starting to itch... *itch*... 

I looked down into a FREAGGIN' MASS SWARM. Thousands! No..not thousands. Probably hundreds, but thousands sounds better. Thousands is probably looking on a wave of tiny movement. Hundreds. Fine. Hundreds were all over my legs, ground, brick work.... IT WAS THEM WHO HAS BEEN REMOVING ALL THE SAND WORK!!!!!!! I keep a container of Ortho right by the back door. Time to show these suckers whose boss!!!!!!
http://i.imgur.com/fjRuEJP.jpg

^this link does not want to cooperate so use your imagination. 

Wasn't until about here I realized what I was doing and how I should immediately stop. ..but the damage had already been done. 

I didn't think about the queens. Figured this was...just.... ants. ....what's a.... Ohhh yeah nuptial flight! Maybe?! By then, the ground was heavily covered and anything moving got hit. Those big things moving? That you felt oh-so-cool trigger blastin' cause yer the champion! Those were probably the queens! Baaaaah...

Captured the three that I could find. Within the hour, 2 were dead. One is still moving right now though... I really do not expect her to make it. Curious to know what ant species this was. 

Edit:
Sorry for the massive pictures. 

Edited by sgheaton, August 17 2017 - 5:04 AM.

• lucas3431 likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#2 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 14 2017 - 6:05 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Measurements?

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 14 2017 - 6:13 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Bah, was going to avoid making it "super serious." The importance still.. 

1. Location of collection: North of Denver/South of Fort Collins
2. Date of collection:  8/13/2017
3. Habitat of collection: Backyard garden
4. Length (from head to gaster): Fairly large ~11.5 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:  ....let me describe her when I'm actually looking because I want to say some yellow banding but will second guess myself. Sooooooo mental note for me for later. 
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Weak to ortho home bug defense
7. Distinguishing behavior: Dead

Edit:
Mental note to correct this later ya dingus

Edited by sgheaton, August 14 2017 - 6:29 AM.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline ultraex2 - Posted August 14 2017 - 6:45 AM

ultraex2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Formica or L. Niger perhaps?

It's right around their nuptial flight time.

#5 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 14 2017 - 6:51 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I've caught those EXACT same Lasius here in Laramie, Wyoming yesterday. I'm not that far away from you either! I've got a macro lens coming soon if you'd want me to get good photos of my queens too for an ID.

Edited by klawfran3, August 14 2017 - 6:52 AM.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#6 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 14 2017 - 6:59 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I'm a bit bummed I did such a terrible job with them because that would have been a perfect opportunity for yet another super easy capture. 

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 14 2017 - 7:01 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Lasius in either the niger or flavus group. Could very well be flavus-group due to yellowish underbelly, but don't take my word for it.

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted August 14 2017 - 8:22 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Got my money on Lasius Flavius.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#9 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted August 14 2017 - 8:32 AM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

I found these yesterday as well. Bigger than niger or neoniger. I think Lasius Flavus, they are 10 to 11 mm.

Edited by Kujawaorchids, August 14 2017 - 8:38 AM.

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#10 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 14 2017 - 10:31 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

There were quite large. Not what I was expecting or prepared for. Were you able to get a couple of them? I'm a little bummed at murder burning the three (ACCIDENTALLY) and would very much like to put one in Drews BoxBox. 

#11 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 14 2017 - 11:23 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

It does look like it could be in the flavus-group: L. flavus or L. nearcticus in that case.

#12 Offline Kujawaorchids - Posted August 14 2017 - 11:26 AM

Kujawaorchids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGolden CO

There were quite large. Not what I was expecting or prepared for. Were you able to get a couple of them? I'm a little bummed at murder burning the three (ACCIDENTALLY) and would very much like to put one in Drews BoxBox. 

I collected 10 I believe, so plenty if you wanted a few to replace yours.

• sgheaton likes this

Mikhail Kujawa

www.KujawaOrchids.com

My pictures on flickr

Lots of ant species!

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted August 14 2017 - 11:56 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Excuse me sir, "Drews BoxBox"? Would you be referring to the dirt shack by Andrew Smith enterprises?

:P
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#14 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 15 2017 - 10:04 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Yes. 

And after viewing the queen this morning in my incredibly groggy state, not only did I not take pictures.... ugh.. 

She is indeed yellow bellied. If Kujawaorchids also caught some of these giant beauties the other day, I'm going to think that they were L. flavus.

And yes Kuja, I didn't see your 10 comment the other day. Nicely done! I've had to pass on Zero's Pogonomyrmex queen... so I'm going to have to re-examine fresh wounds again to see why/if I can handle another species. Thanks though!!!

#15 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 17 2017 - 5:22 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

8-16-17

----------

Outside watering plants, ya? And I notice...super quick darting movement. Took a picture but looking over it now, eh, picture of a garden Make it up as you go.

Assuming they are L. flavus, pretty sure they still are, they've set up shop underneath the weed cloth that is in the back section. Conveniently next to my strawberry plant. The cloth was bunched in such a way that there is a foot channel... like a hallway with windows to the sky through this light cloth. I couldn't reach them there, but could see all the movement from the wings and the like.

These suckers are quick. Touched the ground with my tube, I instantly had one on my hand. Was crazy.... Never saw the queen at that back portion though.

*mowing the yard* same deal. This time right next to the sprinkler head on the other side of the yard. Again, crazy fast movement across these rocks. ....but that and looked giant... With the tube at the ready, began to slowly move the rocks off to try and get further down. All sorts of alates. workers... then 2 bigger insects. Ha! Queens! Score! Was able to get one, the other retreated further past a point I could get. 

I took a picture of her underside, It is very much so yellow in color, but my phone has this weird bug. After I take a picture, if I don't select it immediately after I take the shot, it will be deleted in some sort of crazy, "Hey we know this doesn't happen but we added this feature that prevents your phone from taking pictures of the inside of your pocket - Ultimately saving you battery life and headache!" stupid I can't opt out of feature. Intrinsically design your product so that.. oh wait.. it doesn't do that already! .....ANYWAYS

Currently in a test tube with water. Because I robbed her from a colony, I feel as though I should get her some workers. Though if she was gonna go off and start new -- just going to play the waiting game on the wings. Considering my Tet took a year+ to lose hers...... gently placed the test tube in the drawer of forgetting. I'll check back in on her in a week. 

#16 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 17 2017 - 6:56 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Excuse me sir, "Drews BoxBox"? Would you be referring to the dirt shack by Andrew Smith enterprises?

:P

I believe you are both referring to the DSP box.

#17 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 17 2017 - 8:58 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Its a thing. You both knew what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users