• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queens Laying Brood What to do Next?

brood help

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 12 2017 - 9:17 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Ok, so my 4 queens are laying brood, they have been in the dark of my drawer for about a week. I just checked on them and 3 of them have egg clutches and one just has them scattered across the test tube, is it normal for them to be scattered like that? Also now that I know they are laying brood what do I do??? Do I keep them in my drawer? When do I move them into the home I picked for them?

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Lukas2021 - Posted August 12 2017 - 9:40 AM

Lukas2021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
If the queens are fully-claustual, meaning they don't need food until their first workers, just let them be until they have workers.
If they are semi-claustual then you should be feeding the queen small drops of honey and insect parts every week or every time you see them wanting to forage.

Before anything you should find out if your queens are fully or semi claustral, via a google search of your species

Egg scattering is a sign of infertility, but not always. Keep caring for her like any other queen.

Usually you would wait until 5-20 workers, depending on the size of the ants, before moving them into a formicarium, but it depends on the size of the formicarium.

Feel free to ask any more questions

Edited by Lukas2021, August 12 2017 - 9:43 AM.

• Shaye likes this

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 12 2017 - 10:02 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Well, I know what species the egg scattering one is (p. Rugosus) and all my queens are fully claustral, I just really hope the P. Rugosus is fertilized, she is my favorite and she is the only bigger species of ant I caught. She has no wings, but again the eggs are very small compared to her size and she scattered them. Also I don't have a formicarium, I didn't really care for those big terrarium looking things, instead I just bought a regular ant farm, like the ones you would get as a kid, I hope that is not a problem. I thought I would be able to see true tunnels that way, not just the fake ones like the Ytong nests.

Edited by AntPhycho, August 12 2017 - 10:04 AM.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline Shaye - Posted August 12 2017 - 3:13 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
It isn't a gel nest, is it?

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 12 2017 - 4:21 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
No, I HATE GEL NESTS!

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 12 2017 - 4:22 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

No, I HATE GEL NESTS!

Whoa! Okay then.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#7 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 12 2017 - 4:48 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Lol sorry xD but srsly can you help me?

Ants & Formicaria

#8 Offline Shaye - Posted August 12 2017 - 10:13 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
I think that the second post on here was pretty informative. What other questions are you looking for an answer to?

Edited by Shaye, August 12 2017 - 10:13 PM.

#9 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 12 2017 - 10:38 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Is it a problem I'm using a small regular ant farm instead of a professional formicarium. Read my 3rd post.

Edited by AntPhycho, August 12 2017 - 10:47 PM.

Ants & Formicaria

#10 Offline Leo - Posted August 12 2017 - 11:50 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

no keep them in testtubes

#11 Offline dermy - Posted August 13 2017 - 1:21 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hi, usually most people use Testtubes to start up their queens. Or some other small vials, even pill bottles work if done properly. Usually queens in the founding stage don't like wide open spaces, that's why Testtube setups work so well, much easier to control humidity and such in a small setup as well.

Also another quick note, most people will take you more seriously and help you more if you follow Rule 7 of the forum:

7. Post in legible, coherent English, without excessive use of emoticons, slang, chat acronyms, or instant messenger shorthand.

#12 Offline Shaye - Posted August 13 2017 - 7:54 AM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Is it a problem I'm using a small regular ant farm instead of a professional formicarium. Read my 3rd post.

The third post wasn't exactly in question form, but I understand what you mean. I don't see an issue with a thin ant farm as long as you figure out how to properly hydrate it beforehand as to prevent collapse of tunnels and flooding. The second post gives a good worker estimate for when you should move them from a test tube into your ant farm. They also will easily outgrow it though.. P. rugosus colonies are very large as well as each worker being a fair size. That is one of the reasons for either larger, or more efficiently designed formicaria.

#13 Offline Shaye - Posted August 13 2017 - 7:58 AM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Unless you specifically get a species that caps at a relatively low number..
Pseudomyrmex gracilis grow to a perfect colony size in my opinion.

#14 Offline Lukas2021 - Posted August 13 2017 - 8:03 AM

Lukas2021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I suppose I don't know what other questions you need answered.

We strongly recommend keeping colonies in test tube setups until at least 5 workers. This makes sure your nest is stable.

But other than that you're doing fine, just wait till your first workers until feeding.

Just a suggestion also: keep your topics short and sweet and keep questions simple if they can be😀

#15 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 13 2017 - 12:53 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Ok, thanks for the tips guys, I don't think I said it clearly, they are currently in test tubes, just layed their first clutches of eggs. I meant once my P. Rugosus queen had enough workers, would a simple ant farm like http://www.studica.c...JIaAl8bEALw_wcBwork as a good formicarium and I would later connect an outer world.

Ants & Formicaria

#16 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 13 2017 - 1:21 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I don't think there would be an issue with that, I know drew keeps his Pogonomyrmex's in dirt. 

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#17 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 13 2017 - 1:31 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Ok thank you, that was just the answer I have been looking for!
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

Ants & Formicaria

#18 Offline Lukas2021 - Posted August 13 2017 - 3:57 PM

Lukas2021

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
So I see 2 potential concerns

1. Ants will run out of room in the dirt
2. Hydration- you must keep the nest hydradated so it doesn't cave in. It may be good to add clay to retain more moisture,

Personally I wouldn't use this, especially long term, but I see how you can make it work.

Edited by Lukas2021, August 13 2017 - 3:58 PM.

#19 Offline Shaye - Posted August 13 2017 - 4:40 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
This topic is a disorganized mess..

Edited by Shaye, August 13 2017 - 4:41 PM.

#20 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 13 2017 - 8:06 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The third post wasn't exactly in question form, but I understand what you mean. I don't see an issue with a thin ant farm as long as you figure out how to properly hydrate it beforehand as to prevent collapse of tunnels and flooding. The second post gives a good worker estimate for when you should move them from a test tube into your ant farm. They also will easily outgrow it though.. P. rugosus colonies are very large as well as each worker being a fair size. That is one of the reasons for either larger, or more efficiently designed formicaria.
Could I connect two and farms using tubing, to make one big formicarium?
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

Ants & Formicaria

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brood, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users