• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Introducing New Camponotus floridanus queen to Colony

i added a useless tag. introducing queen ant.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntswerMe - Posted August 9 2017 - 6:52 PM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
Hey fellow anters! My Camponotus floridanus queen I've had for over a year (somewhat over 14 months) passed away a few weeks ago from unknown reasons. Since this is my largest and longest currently living colony (about 200 workers at the time of the queens death and slightly more now as there is still much brood developing and enclosing) as well as my most precious, I'm trying to introduce a new queen. I've already tried once. In the outworld I've placed a mesh separating the queen and the workers, and they aknowledged each other. Whenever I removed the mesh however, the workers proceeded to kill the queen, with the queen bringing down a few workers with her. I've also heard that cooling down ants can make them more accepting of new queens. So would this work, and is is possible to even introduce new Camponotus queens to colonies?

Edited by AntswerMe, August 11 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#2 Offline Shaye - Posted August 9 2017 - 11:42 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
I had extreme trouble once with a large Pogonomyrmex colony, whose queen had recently died, in getting them to accept a new queen. Eventually after cooling the colony and queen multiple times to no avail, I decided to try a little experiment. I first gorged the queen until she would no longer eat, then I made a mesh cube and put the queen in it. Once secured, I put the boxed queen into the deepest part of their nest and waited for two days so she could hopefully gain a bit of their scent. Once released from her prison, and the entire colony + queen getting one last cooling, she was warily accepted and eventually started laying eggs to continue the colonies life.

Your comment on a mesh barrier reminded me of this, so I thought I'd post it.

Edited by Shaye, August 9 2017 - 11:50 PM.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#3 Offline dermy - Posted August 9 2017 - 11:46 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm not sure if it will work but I think Crystals has had success with hibernating queenless colonies and then introducing a queen to it afterwards. I'm not sure if it will work but it might be worth a try. Other than that sorry but if that doesn't work it might mean the colony is doomed :*(

#4 Offline AntswerMe - Posted August 11 2017 - 12:09 AM

AntswerMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida, United States of America
I'm going to try again with the mesh and feed the queen until she's full. This time I'll keep her in her little area for a few days Instead of hours so that hopefully the workers will accept her. If that still doesn't work I'll try the cooling method.

#5 Offline fANTastic - Posted August 11 2017 - 9:51 PM

fANTastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBurnaby British Colombia, Canada

COOL

Does introducing queens to a queenless colony work for all ant species or just for a few?

#6 Offline Shaye - Posted August 11 2017 - 10:09 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
It really is a touch-and-go type of situation. I personally think that some are harder than others. Some may not even be possible, but I have limited experience due to limited opportunities.
  • fANTastic likes this

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users