• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Custom Formicarium Ideas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline fANTastic - Posted August 11 2017 - 9:48 PM

fANTastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBurnaby British Colombia, Canada

So I have tried making a formicarium out of sand but it did nt work because the sand collapsed too easy. I am thinking of making a formicarium out of silicone putty mold from Michaels (art supply store). Will my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus bite through that stuff? I've heard about S. Invicta shredding through silicone but I wonder how this silicone mold putty fairs against Camponotus. 

I can't use Hydrostone or any other hard materials for nests because I don't have heavy tools-just a tiny toolbox with screw drivers and hammers etc.

PLEASE HELP

#2 Offline Shaye - Posted August 11 2017 - 10:13 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
You don't need heavy tools for hydrostone or other hard materials that set.. Just shape tunnels, chambers, and outworld exits with oil-based clay and then pour your preferred material.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#3 Offline fANTastic - Posted August 11 2017 - 10:41 PM

fANTastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBurnaby British Colombia, Canada

You don't need heavy tools for hydrostone or other hard materials that set.. Just shape tunnels, chambers, and outworld exits with oil-based clay and then pour your preferred material.

What is the communty preferred material? I'm think grout or resin

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted August 12 2017 - 7:57 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

What is the communty preferred material? I'm think grout or resin

I've heard of some people actually using playdo, but any kind of clay will do.

I accidentally froze all my ants 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users