• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Evan's Crematogaster sp. Queen Journal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted August 17 2017 - 6:08 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

Crematogaster sp. 

Collected on 8/16/2017 at 6 PM

Conditions: 85 F, very humid

Queen Size: around 10 mm 

Crematogaster sp. (Head)

I found this queen on my porch in a small container of water I leave under my porch light to trap queens. I know this isn't exactly the most efficient method but it's an inexpensive and passive method that works well for the area I have to work with. The funny thing about this queen is that I usually find queens in the morning or at night when they are attracted to the porch light and she was found during the day when there wasn't much of a reason for her to be attracted to that spot so I felt very lucky to find her. 

Once I brought her inside and plugged up her test tube she immediately settled down. I'm starting to wonder if it's the lack of a draft but I've noticed many of my queens stop panicking and just begin grooming when I plug up their test tube set up with a cotton ball. I did get to take a short video of her before putting her away in the box I have for my founding queens and I noticed she was nice and relaxed. I'm hoping that's a good sign. Either way I'll keep this journal updated with her progress and I will add links to her videos at the bottom of this post. I also got some video of a wild Crematogaster colony about ten miles away from me at a friend's house and will add that link as well. 

If anybody else had any experience with Crematogaster queens before please share with me so I can know what to expect from her. 

Crematogaster sp. (Gaster)

New Crematogaster sp. Queen!

New Queen Video

Wild Workers Video

• FeedTheAnts likes this

Check out my Youtube

#2 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted August 17 2017 - 6:59 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
There was a massive nuptial flight yesterday, and i snagged about 24 queens. I myself am trying to raisw up some colonies of these ants as well.
  • Evanthomas89 likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#3 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:01 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Does anyone know what time of day Cremaotgaster fly? I've been told they fly in the morning, although there have been many reports of queens flying to blacklights. I understand this likely varies by region, so if you like in the Mid-Atlantic and have witnessed a flight would you mid filling me in?

#4 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:23 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

There was a massive nuptial flight yesterday, and i snagged about 24 queens. I myself am trying to raisw up some colonies of these ants as well.

That must be why one happened to fall into my water trap haha. 

Does anyone know what time of day Cremaotgaster fly? I've been told they fly in the morning, although there have been many reports of queens flying to blacklights. I understand this likely varies by region, so if you like in the Mid-Atlantic and have witnessed a flight would you mid filling me in?

I'm guessing sometime between noon and 6 pm? 

• VoidElecent likes this

Check out my Youtube

#5 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:26 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Well in MD, I am not sure what time they flew but the queens were EVERYWHERE from around 1pm or 2pm all the way to about 5pm or 6pm.
  • VoidElecent and Evanthomas89 like this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#6 Offline VoidElecent - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:30 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Well in MD, I am not sure what time they flew but the queens were EVERYWHERE from around 1pm or 2pm all the way to about 5pm or 6pm.

This is all very useful, have either of you located colonies near the sites of the flights? I know of two locations home to particularly large Crematogaster cerasi colonies, and I was trying to decide whether it'd be worth taking a trip to those areas if the conditions were right.

#7 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted August 17 2017 - 7:32 AM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

This is all very useful, have either of you located colonies near the sites of the flights? I know of two locations home to particularly large Crematogaster cerasi colonies, and I was trying to decide whether it'd be worth taking a trip to those areas if the conditions were right.

I have found a few but none nearby my house. I don't really go anting much in my neighborhood but have found a couple of colonies within 8-12miles from home. 

Check out my Youtube

#8 Offline Evanthomas89 - Posted September 28 2017 - 5:30 PM

Evanthomas89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHowell, NJ

I've got three Crematogaster queens now, none of which have laid eggs so I'm assuming they're waiting until after diapause. 

Check out my Youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users