• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmica sp. keepers help me!

myrmica semi claustral colony founding

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants Latvia - Posted August 4 2017 - 11:10 AM

Ants Latvia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationLatvia

So i found 3 of these Myrmica sp. queens (probably Myrmica rubra, because they are wide spread in most European areas and i tried to id my queen through antweb.com and it was leading me to Myrmica rubra).
---
One of them didn't lay any eggs and died!
---
The second one i brood boosted and a worker hatched just today! She has 7 more unhatched pupae and 3 eggs, but i like ant colonies, that are raised right from only one queen and the brood boosted one is just in case the 3rd one fails.
---
And the 3rd one is giving me all the problems! She has 5 eggs a bit scattered, but she is rearranging them once in few days, i have seen her caring for them, but she is trying to get out of the test tube!
---
I have offered her honey and even little juicy pieces of flies grown from maggots - all other ant colonies just eat them in moments! She sometimes drinks the honey, but she's still trying to get out!
---
I have heard about Myrmica ants being semi-claustral and needing out worlds to forage in, but the brood boosted one completely didn't care about a thing! She eats her honey and has never tried pulling on the cotton! The 3rd queen tho - not eating anything and always trying to pull on every string of the cotton to get out!!
---
So what should i do?
Should i attach the out world?
Should i cheat just a little bit and add a single pupae to this ant queen? That would make me feel bad and feel like cheating, but it would be only 1 worker and i might get over it in a big while...
Help me please!

A fellow ant keeper from YouTube

#2 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted August 4 2017 - 1:10 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Myrmica are semi-claustral and therefore will require an outworld no matter how content they seem without one. I'd suggest giving both of your colonies an outworld.

• Jonathan21700, Ants Latvia and rbarreto like this

#3 Offline DrygonKing - Posted May 24 2018 - 1:32 PM

DrygonKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCalgary AB Canada
I was just told I have one of these to and is bashing my head on a wall
Current Queens:
Formica argentea (1)
Camponotus modoc (1)
Camponotus herculeanus (1)

Queens I Have Found:
Lasius alienus
Lasius subumbratus
Formica podzolica
Formica argentea
Formica (parasitic)
Camponotus sp.
Myrmica sp.

Queens currently looking for:
Myrmica spp.

Queens once more experienced:
Carebara diversa
Myrmecocystus
Odontomachus Sp.

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted May 24 2018 - 1:54 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I am keeping them right now. They need to eat things every so often in order to raise their first brood. If you fail to feed them before they go hungry again they may eat their brood.

I have fed them sugar water and they have laid eggs, likewise fed with other arthropods.

Edited by AntsAreUs, May 24 2018 - 1:55 PM.

• LC3 and rbarreto like this

#5 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 24 2018 - 2:43 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I just started keeping a Myrmica americana I found out foraging (she flew last Fall).  She laid eggs within about 24hours of me adding her to her test tube, and I have the test tube in an outworld currently.  Within an hour of me putting her in the outworld, she had gone out foraging and collected the insect I had put in there.  The next day I also observed her feeding on Sunburst nectar as well.  As other's mentioned, keeping them in an outworld, and a ready supply of protein is what I've read is the keys to success.  I'll let you know how it goes :)

For what it's worth, last year I tried to raise Myrmica within test tubes without an out world or with one of the AC Test Tube portals, and they all failed.  

Edited by noebl1, May 24 2018 - 2:44 PM.

#6 Offline Rattus - Posted May 24 2018 - 3:34 PM

Rattus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationDanmark

One of the perfect foods for young Myrmica sp. are young earwigs, offer sugar-water in the outworld.

#7 Offline DrygonKing - Posted May 24 2018 - 3:49 PM

DrygonKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCalgary AB Canada
Can I use cut pill bugs?
Current Queens:
Formica argentea (1)
Camponotus modoc (1)
Camponotus herculeanus (1)

Queens I Have Found:
Lasius alienus
Lasius subumbratus
Formica podzolica
Formica argentea
Formica (parasitic)
Camponotus sp.
Myrmica sp.

Queens currently looking for:
Myrmica spp.

Queens once more experienced:
Carebara diversa
Myrmecocystus
Odontomachus Sp.

#8 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted May 25 2018 - 4:02 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Try fruit flies, it's the only stuff along with honey that my queen myrmica ate.
  • noebl1 likes this

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#9 Online Canadian anter - Posted May 25 2018 - 4:47 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

My Myrmica practically ate anything.I know they will readily accept termites, mealworms  and drosophila flies though

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#10 Offline LC3 - Posted May 25 2018 - 7:14 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
I’ve noticed my M. incompleta will eat isopods if given the chance but don’t seem to actively hunt them. I’m not sure if founding queens will accept them as I’ve only given them to a colony.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myrmica, semi claustral, colony founding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users