• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Howdy from Houston, TX

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kotter - Posted August 3 2017 - 12:48 PM

Kotter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
Hi all. I've been a lurker for several weeks now, but this is my first post. I'm a budding novice anter; my main "life therapy" is my plant collection. I've been a plant collector for over 20 years and probably have over 1,000 plants. I grew up in the country and have always loved outdoors, both flora & fauna. I'm one of the weirdos who loves seeing wasps hunting throughout my yards - I learned a long time ago that they get used to me, and as long as I leave them alone they don't mind me at all.

I've got a few unidentified queens right now. I'll be posting pics to hopefully ID them soon (I already loaded some so-so pics to my gallery). At least one (probably 2) are RIFA, a small colony of acorn ants (guessing possibly Temnothorax sp.), and another that I'm not sure what she is. She's the smallest of the three queens and the only one to have laid eggs. I just found another today that I think is the same kind as the last one.

I look forward to reading a lot more on the website and learning more about keeping ants!

Carter.
  • Martialis, Nathant2131, Spamdy and 3 others like this

#2 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted August 3 2017 - 2:29 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Welcome to the fourms!

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 3 2017 - 4:27 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Welcome, we have many knowledgeable members here! :)

Edited by Nathant2131, August 3 2017 - 4:27 PM.

#4 Offline cpman - Posted August 3 2017 - 5:22 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
Welcome to the forums!

What kinds of plants do you grow?

#5 Offline Kotter - Posted August 3 2017 - 8:44 PM

Kotter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
Thanks, all!

Welcome to the forums!

All kinds. I particularly love variegated plants, but love to grow about anything. I also really like various ficus species, adeniums, philodendron species, anthurium species, Japanese maples, Hippeastrums... the list goes on and on.

#6 Offline rdurham02 - Posted August 4 2017 - 4:13 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Welcome Kotter! I lived in the Houston area for about 3 years (Sugar Land side) and grew up in a small town in the East Texas piney woods. 

#7 Offline yen_saw - Posted August 4 2017 - 6:19 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

I'm in Houston area too. Westchase area, not a good place for ants but Memorial Park is not too far away and great place for Pseudomyrmex spp.

• rdurham02 and Kotter like this

#8 Offline cpman - Posted August 4 2017 - 7:16 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Thanks, all!

Welcome to the forums!

All kinds. I particularly love variegated plants, but love to grow about anything. I also really like various ficus species, adeniums, philodendron species, anthurium species, Japanese maples, Hippeastrums... the list goes on and on.

Cool! I also have a really large collection of plants -- with a focus on carnivores. I've had some Hippeastrum hybrids that I did on my own in the ground for quite a few years now.
  • Kotter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users