• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Camponotus queen is not doing so well

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted August 3 2017 - 10:32 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
So the queen ate all her brood, and one of the two nanitics died because he got stuck in the cotton. I have a feeling they won't make it.

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted August 3 2017 - 10:59 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
I'd try brood boosting. But for future camponotous queens you catch, I recommend a wooden setup. Mine produce faster and do much better than the ones in test tube setups.
  • Aquaexploder likes this

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#3 Offline Senbonzakura - Posted August 3 2017 - 3:16 PM

Senbonzakura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

What do wooden setups look like, and how would you go about getting one?

#4 Offline fANTastic - Posted August 3 2017 - 6:41 PM

fANTastic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationBurnaby British Colombia, Canada

Make sure you don't make it too stressed out. For example: bright lights, disturbing test tube etc. T.C. is also right about keeping them in wooden setups, some species of camponotus don't do well in test tubes. Good Luck.

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 3 2017 - 6:59 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

My Camponotus queens did fine in glass test tubes albeit they are super clumsy from slipping on the glass. :tongue2:

I kept my Camponotus spp. queens competely uncovered from the start, and the lights in my room would go off and on all day from me going in and out. They have gone on to have nanitics ever since.

What species are you having trouble with?

#6 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted August 4 2017 - 7:26 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

What species are you having trouble with?

Camponotus nearcticus.

#7 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted August 4 2017 - 9:05 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

I have more unfortunate bad news, the other nanitic passed away. I just gave her some cotton soaked in sugar water, but she seems to be ignoring it. Right now she is digging at the cotton trying to escape. 

#8 Offline Tyler_Fishman - Posted August 5 2017 - 10:38 AM

Tyler_Fishman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Camponotus is a very tough and picky species at the start,queens are almost guarenteed to not like or accept their artificial cluastral cell, I wouod not bother a queen after an incident like your for a good month

#9 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted August 5 2017 - 4:07 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Camponotus is a very tough and picky species at the start,queens are almost guarenteed to not like or accept their artificial cluastral cell, I wouod not bother a queen after an incident like your for a good month

I need to bother her to some degree because she needs to be fed. Since she has already had nanitics her claustral stage has ended.

#10 Offline cpman - Posted August 5 2017 - 7:07 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I haven't had that experience with Camponotus at all. Every queen I've kept of this genus successfully produced nanitics in a normal test tube setup. They also successfully produced workers subsequently.

If this queen hadn't had workers already, I'd suggest leaving her undisturbed. But she will need food.

Edited by cpman, August 5 2017 - 7:10 PM.

#11 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 5 2017 - 7:10 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I haven't had that experience with Camponotus at all. Every queen I've kept of this genus successfully produced nanitics in a normal test tube setup.

Same here. If that were true we probably wouldn't be using test tube setups for them so much then...

#12 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted August 18 2017 - 9:24 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Yes! She has finally laid another egg! Lets hope she doesn't eat this one.
  • lucas3431 likes this

#13 Offline Ameise - Posted August 18 2017 - 11:57 AM

Ameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

I will say that my Camponotus queens adjusted better to small wooden founding formicaria than they did to glass test tubes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users