• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crystal's Camponotus novaeboracensis Journal

camponotus novaeboracensis journal novaeboracensis crystals

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dermy - Posted April 3 2015 - 10:10 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Wow 45 active :o

#22 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 3 2015 - 5:58 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

very nice colony. I like how Camponotus can store lots of food in themselves, much easier to transport food and better survival over the cold period.

• AntSand likes this

#23 Offline Crystals - Posted April 8 2015 - 6:26 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I brought them out of hibernation on April 6th.  Then moved them into a larger 5x7" picture frame formicarium, which is easy as they all wanted to follow the heat.

35866045112_4f382fe5ed_z.jpg

Edited by Crystals, December 28 2017 - 8:31 AM.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#24 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 8 2015 - 7:08 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

It looks nice! I like how you painted grout on the (firebrick?).

#25 Offline Crystals - Posted April 8 2015 - 7:21 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Yes, I painted grout on firebrick as the naturally dappled surface makes it very hard to see brood.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#26 Offline Crystals - Posted April 14 2015 - 1:33 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I forgot to mention, they have a dozen small larvae.

Considering they went into hibernation with zero brood I am quite surprised.  I moved them to their new nest within hours of bringing them out of hibernation, so they were definitely there when I brough them out of hibernation.

Considering how inactive Camponotus seem to be in hibernation, and how much they crave heat with brood, I have no idea how they tended and raised those larvae in a wine cooler set to 8C (46F).  I was not even aware that the queen would lay eggs while in hibernation.

None of my Camponotus herculeanus did that...

I am surprised that there are no eggs yet.  With my Camponotus herculeanus, the queens started laying eggs within about 3 days of coming out of hibernation. Although some queens took a couple of weeks to get going.  The Camponotus herculeanus workers were also out searching for food a lot more than these are. 

Although after a mealworm, mealworm pupae, and a Black soldier fly the Camponotus novaeboracensis gasters are starting to stretch again so they can't be starving. But I have never seen Camponotus turn down food, no matter how stretched their gasters were (unless they were getting ready to hibernate).

I guess they are likely still waking up and soaking up the heat from the heat cable.  You can tell exactly where the heat cable is, they are all on top of it.  :D

Time will tell if this year will be as good as their first season.  :)

My Colonies

#27 Offline Crystals - Posted April 16 2015 - 7:49 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Well the queen is deciding to make a fool of me.  The eggs started coming the day after my previous post.

In 2 days there are already a dozen eggs...

The "small" 3mm long larvae are being stuffed with as much as they will eat and have easily doubled in size in 3 days.

My Colonies

#28 Offline dermy - Posted April 16 2015 - 8:18 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

That sounds crazy!

#29 Offline Crystals - Posted April 17 2015 - 6:12 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

That sounds crazy!

Even crazier is the fact that I did an egg count this morning and there are 8 more eggs than yesterday evening....

My Colonies

#30 Offline dermy - Posted April 17 2015 - 11:10 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Wonder if the colony will explode in growth this year then?

#31 Offline Crystals - Posted April 24 2015 - 12:42 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

The larvae quickly plumped up to a bit bigger than than the current workers and spun cocoons.

One larvae is still growing.

The egg pile is getting larger, but not quite as fast.  It is a bit bigger than the size of a pea if they pile it together.

Oddly enough, they are not bringing food into the nest.  They are dragging anything half way to the garbage corner, eating all they want, and then dumping it in the garbage pile.

Which is a welcome change for me.  Camponotus usually have no issues storing old garbage in their nest.

Here is the lone huge larvae and a pile of eggs.

27576736049_3d34611f05_z.jpg

Edited by Crystals, December 28 2017 - 8:37 AM.

• AntTeen804 likes this

My Colonies

#32 Offline Crystals - Posted June 13 2015 - 7:56 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I have high hopes for this colony.  Their numbers grow quicker than any other colony I have.  Which, considering that they are Camponotus, is somewhat hard to understand.

May 6, 2015

The queen had been laying a lot of eggs.  There are a few pupae from the couple of larvae that appeared during hibernation.

39323768052_df8bd7ac84_z.jpg

May 15, 2015

The larvae they had when they came out of hibenation have already spun their cocoons.  A lot of the eggs are currently small larvae.  I can't believe how fast Camponotus novaeboracensis brood develops compared to Camponotus herculeanus brood.

I am finding they are eating a lot right now, they can demolish a large mealworm everyday and their gasters are empty.

Turns out the the pheonix fly larvae wasn't quite frozen and crawled to the most humid spot in the nest.  Oddly enough, its presence does not bother the Camponotus (unless they are chopped up like later ones were). 

35995436856_417289da1b_z.jpg

35647671470_b80bd76d58_b.jpg

24489201187_b1e304813a_z.jpg

June 13, 2015

More pupae are present, along with quite a few larvae and even more eggs.  I was hoping to upgrade their nest after their next hibernation, but I am kind of suspecting that they will outgrow it before then...

After a few days of doubling their insect ration the gasters on the workers are finally distending a bit.  Which means that they are not starving.  :D

And, of course, about 3 days after I started trying to stuff them with food the queen decided that all this extra food meant she could lay even more eggs...

35647672580_33888cb417_z.jpg

35995439576_c8af7f99bf_z.jpg

Edited by Crystals, December 28 2017 - 8:54 AM.

• Ants4fun, Lamarr, SpikeyOls and 2 others like this

My Colonies

#33 Offline Tpro4 - Posted June 13 2015 - 10:20 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
in the second picture, what is that black bug like thing?
  • SpikeyOls likes this
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#34 Offline Crystals - Posted June 13 2015 - 10:48 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

in the second picture, what is that black bug like thing?

Under the May15th heading?  That is a Phoenix worm, the larvae stage of a Black Soldier Fly.

• SpikeyOls likes this

My Colonies

#35 Offline Ants4fun - Posted June 13 2015 - 11:54 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Awesome!
  • SpikeyOls likes this

#36 Offline Crystals - Posted July 19 2015 - 7:31 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Well, I knew it was coming.

They ran out of room.  :D  Those chambers are deep enough for the queen to stand and barely brush her antennae on the glass.

35647674090_73c85e0855_z.jpg

35995441396_34ed01ae08_z.jpg

I built them a larger nest.  Hopefully it will last them 2 years....

Here I connected the 2 nests, it took them over a week to move (I "encouraged" the last of them to move at the end). Tough move, as some younger workers were positive that the eggs and small larvae had to remain in the old nest, even though it dried out.  I ended up putting a bright (and hot) light above the old nest and carefully watched them.  Once the stubborn stragglers and the eggs/larvae moved, I disconnected the nest.

35647675120_c3904dec12_z.jpg

Fully moved in.  A bit extra condensation as I overwatered the nest while moving them in.

35995443556_cc7237f674_z.jpg

Interesting tip - while Camponotus can walk vertically over olive oil with no issues, they can't walk upside on it if the surface is smooth.  Which works well in my outworld with the upside down lip under the lid.

Edited by Crystals, December 28 2017 - 8:58 AM.

• UtahAnts and United-Ants like this

My Colonies

#37 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 19 2015 - 9:28 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Interesting design.

• LC3 likes this

#38 Offline nurbs - Posted July 19 2015 - 12:38 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Nice colony! Beautiful ants. Love their deep red coloring. 

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#39 Offline LC3 - Posted July 19 2015 - 12:44 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

If you look at picture #3 the new nest kinda looks like you painted a chain of spheres. Hey there's an idea: Optical illusion formicariums.cx

#40 Offline Crystals - Posted July 23 2015 - 6:40 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Brood always seems to be in various stages.  Quite a bit of brood for having next to nothing 3 months ago.

39353399401_671555ae16_z.jpg

35647676370_92c7c75740_z.jpg

39353491081_152b21c078_b.jpg

Edited by Crystals, December 28 2017 - 9:04 AM.

My Colonies

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus novaeboracensis, journal, novaeboracensis, crystals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users