• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Camponotus inaequalis Journal (Updated 8/8/21)

camponotus journal camponotusjournal tortuganus sexguttatus

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 16 2019 - 4:38 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

May 16, 2019

This colony has yet to even reach near 100 workers. It's weird, they always have brood but it takes forever for me to notice considerable growth in them. I'm thinking the workers have a short lifespan. Tropical species like this don't seem to lay in batches, they just lay a few eggs here and there. I probably should be feeding them more carbs and less protein.

5Zx4Tu3.jpg

F84cqUU.jpg

rTF4PgF.jpg

TSo1fAy.jpg

hAgIR0L.jpg

Edited by Aaron567, May 16 2021 - 1:28 PM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#22 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 16 2019 - 5:05 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I really like the color on the heads of those sexguttatus majors, so jealous of the ants you have in Florida!

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#23 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted May 16 2019 - 5:16 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

I really like the color on the heads of those sexguttatus majors, so jealous of the ants you have in Florida!

Same though!

Spoiler

#24 Offline Aaron567 - Posted August 8 2021 - 3:27 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

August 8, 2021

Several weeks ago someone on the east coast shipped me a Camponotus inaequalis (formerly tortuganus) queen with eggs. She just got her first worker. This is my first time keeping this species since 2019.

One worker, 3 pupae, 4 larvae, at least 5 eggs.

GlCbXev.jpg

MXTiQQa.jpg

Q0AV7PH.jpg

• TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, journal, camponotusjournal, tortuganus, sexguttatus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users